Q. Being a type 2 diabetic, how often should I check my blood sugar?

Dr. Shazli Naseer
and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

I was recently diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. My fasting glucose was 108, and my A1C was 6.6 %. I was not put on medication yet but instead will work on my weight, exercise, and diet over the next three months before my next visit to see if I can prevent getting worse. I am 6'1," and 285 lbs. I am mostly sedentary but will be introducing an elliptical workout every other day for about 20 to 30 minutes a time.

I purchased an diabetes monitoring system, but need to know how often and when I should check my blood sugar and what should my target ranges be? I need to know what my daily gram and carbohydrate intake should be. Or, even better, what should my percentages be based on my 1,790 caloric daily intake of carbohydrates, protein, and fat. Currently, they are based on the ADA recommendations.

Carbohydrates 40 % / 179 g, protein 35 % / 157 g and fat 25 % / 50 g. I also have high blood pressure. I am on 100 mg Losartan, and my reading today was 117/84/77 bpm. Kindly help.

Do you have a question on Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus or Blood Sugar Levels?

Ask a Doctor Now

Dr. Shazli Naseer

DIABETES FELLOWSHIP - EASTERN CAROLINA UNIVERSITY ., AMERICAN BOARD OF FAMILY MEDICINE ., FAMILY MEDICINE
Diabetology

You have provided good necessary information to start. My strategy as a diabetes specialist, I like to do very detail analysis to make a customized approach for each patient.

1. Based on the information, you provided, you should be on medication from my experience, like low dose Metformin 500 mg twice daily with meals, or Metformin 500 mg. Extended-release once daily. While you work on diet and exercise, this is help also prevent complication from diabetes. Metformin will help you lose weight too. Metformin also improves your insulin work better for you for better and quick control of blood sugar.

2. You can check blood sugar three times weekly, at different times. E.g., one-day fasting (before breakfast, second-day post-lunch, and third day at bedtime. (2 hours post-dinner). Keep diary readings. However, you prefer to see the trend of your blood sugar. Normal range fasting in the morning 90 to 120. Post-meal 120-140 average is good.

I recommend a high protein, low carbohydrate diet for you. You are in more top weight category so surely gradually need to lose weight, do not attempt instant aggressive weight loss you will end up injuring yourself and will regain weight too. I would keep carbohydrates less than 140 grams for a day overall. 1800 calorie diet max will be fine for you if you wish to lose weight then 1500 calories.

3. You are more than welcome to request detail 30 minutes to 1-hour consult as well, I go into much detail to have full analysis, and I address all potential complications and nutrition and medicines.

Is it fine to eat carbohydrates within 40 minutes after taking a GH shot?
Query: Hi doctor, Is it fine to eat carbohydrate and sugar within 40 minutes of growth hormone injection? Because, it is believed that after injecting growth hormone, a person should wait for at least 40 minutes to eat carbohydrate or sugar. Please explain.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I can understand your concern. No, it is not advisable to eat carbohydrate and sugar for at least 60 minutes after taking a growth hormone shot. The more carbohydrate you consume, the higher your blood sugar will raise, which then set off insulin production. Insulin and ...  Read Full

Can low dose of human growth hormone lead to type 2 diabetes?
Query: Hi doctor, I have prediabetes (5.8 fasting blood glucose). Can low doses of human growth hormone used for bodybuilding lead to type 2 diabetes? My mother has type 2 diabetes mellitus.  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. 5.8 mg/dL of glucose is too low. Prediabetes is fasting blood glucose between 110 to 126 mg/dL and above it is frank diabetes. Type 2 diabetes cannot be caused by small or large doses of human growth hormone. Type 2 diabetes is autoimmune in nature and it is mostly geneti...  Read Full

Is there anything to worry about raising blood sugar levels?
Query: Hello doctor, My grandfather aged 79 years has diabetes for past 22 years. He has been on medication since then. He has other parameters normal but his sugar levels are quite high for some time. Before three months, the fasting blood glucose level was 116 mg/dl and postprandial blood glucose level ...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your father is doing really well. The change in his sugar levels is due to his age. As he ages, his body processes would start to derange even if they were previously stable. He can continue eating as he presently is. But, ask him to also avoid sugar-rich fruits whi...  Read Full

Ask a Doctor Now