Q. Can a young adult get type 2 diabetes?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
Published on Jan 19, 2019

I am 20 years old, type 2 diabetes patient. Please give me information about diabetes. Every morning, I do running around 2 to 3 km.

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar

Diabetology General Practitioner
#

I have seen your attached details (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which show you are on multiple drugs to control blood glucose and your blood glucose levels seem to be in very good control. However, if levels drop too low that is less than 70 mg or so, there is a possibility of developing hypoglycemia. So please take care not to have too low levels.

Regarding what is diabetes and details about it, it is very difficult to explain here. However, some points are being given:

1. Diabetes is a hormone (insulin) deficiency disease, plus there may be resistance to its action, mainly in fat or overweight person. In some persons both these situations are responsible. Excess weight and physical inactivity are major culprits.

2. Once diabetes develops, there is a derangement of metabolism of carbohydrates, fats, and proteins. But the major visible problem is high glucose levels and HbA1c.

3. This leads to an effect on microvasculature (small blood vessels) supplying retina, kidney, and nerves. Secondly, damage to macrovasculature (large vessels) like coronary arteries supplying the heart and large vessels supplying lower limbs. These actions lead to retinal damage (retinopathy, kidney damage and neuropathy and sexual problems in male). Large vessel damage causes heart-related issues, damage to the blood supply to lower limbs and ulceration at times leading to loss of limbs.

Type 2 diabetes was earlier seen in persons above 40 years. However, nowadays it is seen more often in much younger age group, even in teen age. Strict blood glucose control with fasting less than 100 mg, PP (postprandial) 150 to 160 mg and HbA1c less than 6.8 should be maintained. Apart from taking specific medications, it is essential to take properly planned restricted diet, no sweets, no deep fried foods, no bakery items, no foods made of maida and avoid colas. Increase the intake of green leafy vegetables and salads. Plus regular exercise of over one hour and maintaining a near normal weight are important aspects of the treatment.

Is HbA1c test more reliable than a blood sugar test taken at home?

Query: Hello doctor,I am a 35-year-old female. Is HbA1c test at a primary physician's lab reliable? I recently got my annual physical and lab tests done at a new primary physician's office (practicing since five years). The results show I have a glucose of 109 mg/dL and hemoglobin A1c of 6.8 %. My TSH is 5...  Read Full »

My HbA1c levels have reduced. Does it mean my diabetes is gone?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 57 year male. Four months ago, the doctor declared that I am diabetic as my HbA1c was 10.7 %. I started with Glimisave M2 (two tablets per day) and Atorec 10 (one tablet at night), later on, I shifted to Glimisave M1 (two tablets per day) and Atorec 10 as usual. I take other su...  Read Full »

Can low dose of human growth hormone lead to type 2 diabetes?

Query: Hi doctor, I have prediabetes (5.8 fasting blood glucose). Can low doses of human growth hormone used for bodybuilding lead to type 2 diabetes? My mother has type 2 diabetes mellitus.  Read Full »

Ask a Diabetologist Now