Q. I am pregnant, and my sugar level is high even after taking Insulin. What to do?

Dr. Sravanthi Nuthalapati
and medically reviewed by Dr. Preetha J

I am a 32-year-old female. I have type 2 diabetes, and I am seven months pregnant. Before the third trimester, my sugar level was well controlled, and as per the doctor's consent, he has put me on Insulin, so I took four units of dose before the meal. But now (during the third trimester) my sugar level in fasting is 160 and postprandial is 250 even if I take a dose of 12 units before the meal. I just wanted to know whether this range is fine or not in the third trimester, and is there any risk for me and my baby? Please suggest.

#

I am very sorry to say that the present blood glucose values you have mentioned indicate your glycemic control is not good. In pregnancy, there is a requirement of strict blood sugars control as it can affect the baby's growth and well-being. The ideal fasting should be less than 95, and post-meal should be below 120 (two hours post meals). Poor sugar control can make the baby's size increase more than normal, which can pose difficulty in delivery, which can be risky to both the baby and the mother. Also, poor sugar control can pose a risk of sudden intrauterine deaths. So it is highly essential to have good sugar control. Please consult with your diabetologist or endocrinologist and review with your sugar values so that your Insulin dose can be modified based on your blood sugar profile. You will need a combination of different types (long and short-acting types) based on your sugar profile. Also, be in touch with your gynaecologist for monitoring your baby's well-being (using NST (non-stress test) and ultrasounds).

- Do walking for at least 20 to 30 minutes in the morning and evening.

- Follow your diabetic diet very strictly till delivery.

- Keep a check on fetal movements; you can chart daily the fetal movements counts (check for an hour after three major meals by lying on the side and counting the number of actions in that one hour. The total of all three hours should be ten or more). Report to your doctor if you perceive any reduced movements.

I hope this information helps you. Please take reasonable care and consult your caregivers (diabetologist and obstetrician) for better outcomes of pregnancy.

|