Q. Jardiance for type 2 diabetes is causing penile infection and balanitis. Please suggest an alternate medicine.

Dr. Rinku Biswas

I am 30 years old and I am a type 2 diabetic. Right now I take Lantus 30 unit at night. In the morning, I take Gemer DS 2 and after breakfast, I take 12 mg Jardiance. Now my sugar is under control, but because of Jardiance I usually have penile infection and balantitis. I have googled that Jardiance have side effects of these types because it flush out sugar from urine. Can I take any other medicine like Voglibose or other which has good efficacy? Or should I take Novorapid along with Lantus at morning meal?

Dr. Rinku Biswas

Diabetology Pharmacology
#

Urinary infection is the most common side effects of the Empagliflozin (Jardiance). Maintaining thorough hygiene and plenty of water. I can advice you for a change in medication but you need to be very vigilant initially for any fluctuations. Your exact blood sugar values might have given a better understanding though. Below I am modifying your medication of Gemer and adding Voglibose. Stop using Jardiance. Be very strict to yourself in having controlled diet with more of fruit and salads. Regular yoga and exercise.

Tablet Gemer DS (Glimpiride) 3 mg in the morning 15 minutes before breakfast. Tablet Voglibo (Voglibose) 0.2 mg just before first bite of your breakfast. Rest continue with the same medication at night.

You may have some stomach disturbances initially but may settle down eventually. Have good enough amount of curd in your diet.

Measure your values especially after four to five days and get back to me for advice so that depending on how you are managing can decide for any modifications or continuation of the same treatment.

|