Q. My 21 months old baby has a fever for three days even after taking Calpol. Why?

Dr. Faisal Abdul Karim Malim
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

My son is 21 months old and 12.5 kg in weight. He has a fever for the last three days. And I have been giving him Calpol suspension. Now I want to provide him with Azitus-XL 200 mg suspension too. Kindly prescribe the dosage for it. As of now, my child does not have symptoms like sore throat, cough, runny nose except fever. Kindly give your opinion.

#

My suggestion with Azitus-XL suspension (Azithromycin 200 mg/5 ml) for 12.5 kg child is 3 ml once a day for five days. I hope this was helpful.

I have been giving my child Calpol suspension 250 mg about 3.5 ml three to four times a day for three days. Today also he has a fever, so can I continue to give him Calpol for more than three days or not. Secondly, Calpol cannot completely control my child's fever. So kindly suggest for my child other medicine which will be more effective than Calpol.

#

Firstly I will suggest checking the temperature with a thermometer. Calpol (Paracetamol) will only work if the temperature is between 100 to 102 F. If it is beyond 102 F, it will not work. Beyond 102 F, you will need to use syrup Ibugesic plus (Paracetamol). Keep these medications only on SOS (as and when required) and monitor as per need with a thermometer if the temperature is below 100 F. No need to give any fever medications.

Also, suppose the child has a fever (documented on the thermometer) for more than three days. In that case, it is best to get the child investigated with blood investigations as per physical examination by a pediatrician. Further management will be based on physical examination findings and blood investigations, chest X-rays, etc. I hope this was helpful.

Because of COVID-19, we do not want to go out these days. We will take care of him ourselves for one to two days at home, and after that, if my child does not recover, we will take him to the hospital. And yes, my child's temperature is beyond 102 F, but after taking Calpol after about one hour, his temperature will be between 100.5 F to 101.5 F. I have Flexon suspension now at home, kindly prescribe the required dosage for my child of it. Also, advise me how long use of Calpol or Flexon is safe for the child. Kindly give your opinion.

#

The advised dose for Flexon (Orphenadrine) for a 12.5 kg child is 4 ml on an SOS basis. Calpol can be repeated every six hours as per need and not lesser than that, whereas Flexon can be repeated eight hourly and not lesser than that. These are the safe limits for both medications. Generally, if these medications are required for more than three days, it is best to get the child evaluated physically. The benefits of examination in physical far outweigh the risks involved in the current scenario. Hence it is advisable to get the child evaluated physically. I hope this was helpful.

Today my child had done a test for typhoid fever at a private laboratory, and the result is positive. So kindly suggest medicines for my child for typhoid fever. He has rashes in his chest and tummy too. Since last night I started giving him Azitus XL suspension 200 mg, can I continue with Azitus? Kindly give your opinion.

#

Yes. Please continue with Azitus XL only. It works in typhoid as well. Please share with me the result reports so that I can guide you better. Please note that a widal test is never confirmatory of typhoid. Please get back if you have further doubts.

Since yesterday evening, my child is feeling better. Even without Calpol or Flexon, his temperature does not rise higher than 100.5 F, So we are not giving any medicine for fever. Yesterday at 9 AM was the last time we gave him Flexon suspension. But his temperature always remains at 99.5 F to 100.5 F without coming down even for a few minutes. Secondly, since yesterday evening, he started coughing though no severe. So kindly advise medicine for cough. If necessary, kindly prescribe vitamin and medication for acidity too.

#

I suggest you, please start the child on syrup Levolin (Levosalbutamol) 3.5 ml twice a day for five days for the cough. Give fever medications as required. As regards acidity, you can give the child syrup Rantac (Ranitidine) 3.5 ml twice a day for five days (to be given half an hour before food). As regards vitamins, you can give syrup Zincovit (Multivitamin) 5 ml once a day and syrup Calcimax P (Calcium, Phosphorus and Vitamin-D) 5 ml twice a day. However, I would suggest starting vitamins after the child is stable. I hope this was helpful.

I have two children. My first child is 4 years and 5 months old. My second child is 1 year and 9 months old. I am willing to give deworming medicine to them. So I bought Albendazole suspension 10 ml. Kindly advise its dosage for my two children. Kindly suggest adult dosage for Albendazole suspension or tablet for deworming.

#

The dosage of Albendazole is given depending upon their weight and not age. The dosage of a child below 10 kilograms is 5 ml and it has to be given as a single dose only. The dose of any child above 10 kilograms is 10 ml and take it as a single dose alone.

|