Q. How can I overcome focus and verbal understanding issues?

Dr. Parth Singh
Published on Sep 22, 2018

I am female, 21 years of age and as weird as this sounds, I always feel like I am so overfocused that I cannot really focus. I am very slow when it comes to verbal communication, it is something I have struggled with ever since I was a child. So when someone is verbally giving me instructions, from something as simple as sending an email to someone to passing on a long message to someone else, I just zone out or like I said at the beginning, so focused on what's being said that I forget, like I was not even listening. I always ask for the person to repeat, but it usually takes four more repeats for me to at least get the gist of the conversation, which obviously leads to people getting frustrated. I was screened for any learning or hearing disabilities when I was a child, but the counselors at school could not find anything wrong with me. This is extremely frustrating for me and gets in the way of my social and work life. I would like to know if it could be some kind of attention disorder or something else? I do not know if the following info helps but I have always been a sensitive child. I could not stand going to the theater or concerts until I was 14 years old and very intense smells make me cry, regardless whether it smells good or not. I am also extremely hyperactive. I get so restless that I walk and run around the house, but I know how to control it when I am in public. I was also bullied all throughout middle school, it stopped mid-high school when I finally stood up for myself.

Dr. Parth Singh

Psychiatry Psychologist/ Counsellor Sexology
#

It seems from the information you have provided that you might be suffering from an adult variant of attention deficit hyperactive disorder, inattention type. Do you also have symptoms like repetitive acts or rituals, urge to repeat words or images, repetitive handwashing or checking repeatedly. If these symptoms are present, you might be suffering from OCD (obsessive compulsive disorder). But still, I think the first provisional diagnosis is an attention deficit hyperactive disorder, inattention type. You may get relief by medicines like Methylphenidate or Methamphetamine.

Suffering from OCD(Obsessive Compulsive Disorder). Taking medicines, but I do not feel completely good. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, I am suffering from OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder) since last 10 years. Getting treated by a doctor with medicines. But I do not feel completely good. Many times I go into very sad mood. Please give me suggestions.  Read Full »

What could be the reason for my dizziness and increased blood pressure?

Query: Hi doctor, I experienced dizziness as from this morning. Later in the noon, I felt as if my head is spinning and could not focus properly. I felt that my hands became numb and fingertips turning blue. I went to a pharmacy sweating on my forehead. They took my blood pressure and it was 142/103 mmHg. ...  Read Full »