Q. How to improve my sugar level?

Dr. Divakara P
Published on Apr 04, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jan 08, 2020

My diabetes started as gestational diabetes around seven years back. I am taking NovoRapid 24 units three times a day and Lantus 30 units at night daily. But, my blood sugar levels are not at all coming down. Previously, I took tablet Zoryl MV 1 and 2. I am using these Insulin for the past six months, but there is no improvement in my sugar levels. Also, my HbA1C is greater than 9. Please help.

Dr. Divakara P

Diabetology Endocrinology General Medicine Internal Medicine Pain Medicine Pulmonology (Asthma Doctors)
#

• Uncontrolled sugar can be due to inadequate dose of Insulin, not following proper diet and less physical activity or exercise.
  • I need to know whether you take NovoRapid 24 units three times a day which is equal to 72 units per day or it is 24 units per day.
  • Also, let me know whether you are strictly following diabetic diet or not.
  • What is the level, duration of exercise you do and in what frequency?

For further information consult an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I take 24 units three times a day. I do 50 minutes of brisk walk four days a week. I am following little diabetes diet that is one meal at lunch, little food between lunch and snack time, etc. If this is not sufficient, then please suggest what exactly I need to do.

Dr. Divakara P

#

Thanks for the information. First I shall start with diet.

• Avoid sweets, fruit juice, carbonated drinks. Also avoid heavy meals for lunch and dinner.
  • Eat more of vegetables in your diet except potato, beetroot and carrot. For example if you are eating three roti and 50 g of vegetables change it to 2 roti and 150 g of vegetables.
  • If possible drink bitter guard juice in empty stomach.
  • Exercise what you are doing is fine, but do it daily.
  • Now coming to medications you are on high dose of Insulin. I would recommend you to get started on tablets also.
  • Start tablet Metformin 1 g two times a day. Increase Lantus to 40 units in the night.
  • I recommend an alternative for Lantus called Tresiba. Use same dose for Tresiba also (30 units). Continue the same dose of NovoRapid.
  • Monitor you fasting, post breakfast (2 hour) and pre-dinner blood sugars on alternative days and let me know the results after 10 days.

Revert back after 10 days to an endocrinologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/endocrinologist

| 

Can I take Insulin to control blood sugar?

Query: Hi doctor,I am having high blood glucose. My fasting blood sugar is 153, postprandial is 175 and before dinner 152. My doctor advised Janumet 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Sulisent in the morning. Shall I take it? Presently, I am having Invokana 50/500 before breakfast and dinner and Reclid...  Read Full »

Does Gum Disease Affect Your Overall Health?

Article Overview: Tooth decay and missing teeth can prevent proper chewing ability and thereby affect digestion of food, but gum diseases can result in much more serious effects on one’s general health. This article aims to educate about the effects of gum/dental health on general health. Read Article

Dental diseases can be broadly classified as tooth decay and gum disease and both of these diseases results from bacteria. Gum diseases are generally referred to as gingivitis and periodontitis. The term gingivitis means inflammation of the gums and periodontitis suggests inflammation and destr...  Read Article

Ask an Endocrinologist Now