Q. My mother's sugar levels are 190 and 330. Should we put her on Insulin?

Dr. Prabhakar Laxman Jathar
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 17, 2020 and last reviewed on: Jan 21, 2021

My mother is 63 years old. She has a fasting blood sugar of 190 mg/dL and a postprandial of 330 mg/dL. Is it normal or she has to go for insulin? She is taking Metformin 850 mg now. Before few days, she had dizziness. Due to COVID-19, I was unable to take her to the hospital. Can she take Vertin or Vertiford tablet? If yes, what is the dosage to be taken in a day? Please suggest.

#

I have gone through the history. Her glucose level is high and it indicates that her present treatment is totally inadequate. She has an increased weight with a BMI (body mass index) of 43.96 and she has an excess weight of 46 kilograms. This is the main culprit against uncontrolled diabetes. Apart from upgrading the treatment, she has to concentrate on doing regular exercise. If she is not able to go out, then she can do certain exercises at home. She should spend 45 minutes on stretching, bending, walking, and any kind of activity at home.

Avoid giving bakery items, foods made of white flour, fried foods, red meat, junk foods, and cool drinks. You can take green leafy vegetables, salads, and certain fruits like orange, apple, sweet lime, pear, kiwi, pomegranate, dragon fruit, papaya, and guava. Reduce rice and other carbohydrates in her diet. Even if she manages to reduce five to eight kilograms, her glucose levels can get reduced. Now, Metformin is enough. She can take tablet Galvus met (Metformin with Vildagliptin) twice a day after lunch and dinner. It helps to reduce blood glucose levels. Please mention HbA1c (hemoglobin A1C) percent and lipid profile. These two details are very important.

|