Q. How to gain weight as I am underweight and more vulnerable to climate change?

Dr. Shakti Mishra
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I am 32 years old. I am underweight and my BMI is low (below 18). I do not have any other medical issues. But, I used to get vulnerable cold and cough to climate change.

#

• Basically, your immune system is very weak. Some people like you are very much prone to cold and cough, because of which the body's normal biological systems gets disturbed during each season.
  • When our immune system gets altered our antigens, which are the fighting soldiers of our body, get weakened. So, they do not work against the foreign particles correctly. And so, you get cold very easily.
  • This in turn also decreases your appetite and your weight does not increase or remains at the same value. This can be improved through the food that you take. The food we take can make our immune system healthy.
  • Have warm milk in the morning in winter seasons. You can also have turmeric milk. You can have tulsi and honey during a cough.
  • Have as many green vegetables as possible (spinach, broccoli, beans, capsicum, green peas, carrot, etc). Avoid cold drinks, ice creams, prawns, brinjals and juices.
  • I always prefer to have cooked food, avoid junk foods, oily and spicy.
  • You can have bread and butter for breakfast with almonds and cashews. You can have anti-inflammatory tablets like Cetirizine if you are too uncomfortable.
  • Have salads in lunch and protein content should be more for dinner and lunch, like green gram dal, red kidney beans and pulses.
  • Go for a morning walk and not in the evening as it can increase your cold and cough due to pollution.

For further information consult a nutritionist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/nutritionist

|