Q. I am underweight and my BMI is 16. 5. How to improve my weight?

Answered by Dr. Mahboob Ali and medically reviewed by Dr. Nithila A

Do you have a question on Underweight or Bmi? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

Dr. Mahboob Ali
BUMS
Ayurveda Specialist, Unani Medicine

First, you explain about your daily routine, and like and dislike foods.

I am a vegetarian only. I usually have my morning breakfast at 10 AM, afternoon lunch at 2 PM, dinner at 9.30 AM. The foods I take more are rice, dal, curd, etc.

Dr. Mahboob Ali
BUMS
Ayurveda Specialist, Unani Medicine

For breakfast, you should take like two bananas, one glass milk, and any recipe you like chana, upma, etc. For lunch time have rice, dal, salad, and fresh curd. In the evening time some dry fruit like badam, pista, kaju, mung, fuli, etc. In dinner time have paneer or soya.

Some unani formulations which increase your appetite and enhance your liver function are,

1. Majun dabidul ward one tablespoon bd(twice daily).
  2. Habb-e-papita two tablet bd.
  3. Syrup cinkara two tablespoons after breakfast.

After a week, tell me your improvement.

What types of foods can be given to aid my little son eat properly?
Query: Hello doctor, My 4-year-old son weighs 14 kg and does not take his food properly. He has mild constipation. I would like to know what type of food does he need? Please suggest if he needs vitamin supplements.  Read Full »
Dr. Simy Mathew
Paediatrician

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your child is underweight by just 2 kg. You should try giving different food items and try new recipes. All kids are fussy eaters. We should put our maximum effort to make them eat. You can give multivitamin syrup like Visyneral Z Syrup (vitamin ...  Read Full »

I am on a diet and not getting regular monthly period. What to do?
Query: Hello doctor, Over the last several months, I have been dieting to lose weight that I gained last summer. Though my weight has fluctuated over the months, I have lost approximately 10 lbs. I am also an athlete, and thus I exercise daily. After the first two months of dieting, I noticed that I did no...  Read Full »
Dr. Sweta Singh

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. You are very underweight, and that is why your menstrual cycles are not coming usually. My advice would be to stop dieting. Follow a regular healthy diet and exercise in moderation. You are nearly anorexic, and that will wreak havoc with your bones and hormones. Just hav...  Read Full »

Why are my periods always super irregular?
Query: Hello doctor,I started my period when I was 11. I am now 24. My period has always been super irregular. I can go on for 60 to 75 days with no period. It will be on time for two months, then back to missing two months. I have talked to my doctor multiple times but never really got an answer. I h...  Read Full »
Dr. Ravinder Kaur Khurana Kaur Khurana

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. You areoverweight (BMI is high) for your height. It could be polycystic ovaries. Do you have abnormal hair growth near the chin, on the side of your face, or on the abdomen and around the nipple? I will suggest a few tests. Get it done on day-2 ...  Read Full »

Ankylosing Spondylitis
Is having severe leg pain during pregnancy normal?
The pulse rate started to fall after giving Epinephrine in a 4-year-old child. Kindly give your opinion.

Also Read Answers From