Q. My 10-month baby weighs 7 kg, does not eat solid foods or drink milk, and is vomiting. Please help.

Dr. Sugreev Singh

My baby boy’s birth weight was 3.02 kg. He is almost ten months old now, and last month when I checked his weight, it was 7 kg. He is getting tall every month but is very thin and almost looks the same as the day I brought him home. He never took a bottle, even though I tried several times. I tried several formulas, too, since he was not gaining much, and he keeps vomiting throughout the day even if he took as little as 15 ml. He was drinking very little breastmilk all those months, and now suddenly, he wants to drink milk and not eat solids. He does not like solid foods either. The first three to four days, he ate well, and ever since then, he keeps his mouth shut whenever I try to feed him solids. I tried so many foods, but he likes nothing. I tried to wean, and he would touch the food sometimes but gets bored and barely put anything in his mouth. Please help. I am force-feeding him, giving him homemade food, but there is no change in his weight.

#

Thank you for writing, and I understand your concern. However, few possibilities can cause such symptoms, such as atresia or intestinal infections, so I suggest you check with a child specialist (pediatrician) once. They can evaluate the condition by doing ultrasonography examination, or physical examination and treatment can be given accordingly. So it is better to consult a pediatrician now because if he is in the growth phase and does not take meals properly, he might have deficiencies in the future. So kindly consult a pediatrician once; if anything else, let me know.

Thanks for the reply.

He vomits when I give formula milk and not breastmilk. Otherwise, he looks fine, and he passes stools twice a day. I give him two to four ounces of food three times a day at least, and he seems too full to have snacks every day. Still, can those might be the possibilities?

#

Thank you for the quick reply.

In such a case, atresia is not possible, but he might be allergic to gluten or certain foods at specific points, so you can try giving him some fruits and baby food with milk. Once he starts accepting, his body will adapt to it, and eventually, everything will be normal. Currently, he is not used to solid food. But you should try different food items and in tiny portions every day. If he vomits, change the food. If still, this fails, then consult a pediatrician until that at least give milk in good amount. For a 10-month baby boy's body weight should be around 9 kg. So if possible, it will be better to visit a pediatrician nearby once. If anything else, please let me know.

|