Q. Can an undescended testicle be removed in a 22-year-old patient?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

I am a 22-year-old male. I have a single testis from childhood. At that time the doctor said there are no issues, so we moved on. Now one of my doctor suggested MRI scanning and ultrasound. The missing testis is a little below my stomach. What will be the impact of this testis which is not in the right place? Whether it can be removed or will there be any problem in the future?

#

Ectopic testis in the inguinal area must be removed if you are above 13 years of age. If you are below 13 years, it can be fixed down in the scrotum again. The reason for that is the testis has the tendency to have cancer in it. The removal can be done with a small incision under local anesthesia and takes about half an hour.

Are there any other ways to remove it? Will it affect the marriage life? Please inform the effects after surgery or treatment.

#

This testis is no more functional anyway. They neither have hormonal functions nor have spermatogenesis, so removing them will have no negative effects. As we said surgical procedure is a small operation, it will not have complications. Regarding fertility, you will need assessment with blood tests like testosterone, LH (luteinizing hormone), and FSH (follicle-stimulating hormone) levels.

|