Q. Do you recommend any specific test to know the reason for headache and tinnitus?

This is a premium question & answer published on Apr 27, 2017 and last reviewed on: Aug 31, 2021

Before a month, I went for earwax cleaning, and it was unsuccessful. The second attempt after three days was fine. There were some irritation and blood was found on the removed cerumen. According to the ear specialist, there is no ear inflammation. My complaints are top right-sided burning spot in the head, which is triggered with belching and movement and tinnitus. They started after right ear water cleaning. I was prescribed with Sofradex 8 mg ear drops. I had Nurofen 400 mg for two days and stopped due to side effects. General blood tests including HIV and syphilis were conducted eight days after ear cleaning and all tests were normal.

#

I read your query and gone through the attached blood reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

• First of all, I did not find anything seriously deviated from normal in your blood report.
  • Regarding headache, I think there is a need for a brain scan, such as CT scan or MRI. MRI will make a better choice.
  • The chances of infection are significant as evidenced by a unilateral headache and onset following ear cleaning. In my opinion, the consultation with the doctor should not be delayed as some serious case due to amebic infection reported following ear cleaning.
  • I request you to see an ENT specialist and neurologist as soon as possible. Although neurologist will be a better choice but in the case of unavailability of neurologist an ENT can be of much help.

For further information consult a neurologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/neurologist

Do you recommend any specific blood tests in this case? The reason why I made the ear cleaning is for the tinnitus itself. After ear cleaning, it increased.

#

• As communicated earlier, I think a brain scan should be ordered which will take care of right side of the head as well as ear pathology.
  • I do not think blood investigations have an important role although the further course can be decided once we have an MRI.

|