Q. My brother-in-law experiences headache, vertigo and partial hearing loss in right ear. What could it be?

Dr. Deepak Verma
Published on Nov 19, 2019

My brother-in-law has been experiencing severe headache, and nausea along with occasional vomiting for the last few days. He visited an MD first and subsequently an ENT specialist who advised that a nerve in his right ear has dried up and there is a partial hearing loss which is causing the headache along with the other symptoms. The doctor further suggested that this condition has no cure and with time my brother in law might experience total hearing loss. I would like to seek your advice on the diagnosis and the next course of treatment. I have attached his blood, CT scan and MRI reports for your reference.

Dr. Deepak Verma

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I need to ask you some more questions in detail so that we can reach some final diagnosis. Is your brother-in-law having fluctuating type of hearing loss that means sometimes hearing is normal and during attack hearing goes down? Is there any history of vertigo and if it is there is it occasional or on regular basis? Is he on any treatment at present, and if so is there any improvement in his condition?

The answer to your first question is yes. When under attack, the hearing goes down, or else it is normal. My bother in law has a history of vertigo for 10 years, however, it does not use to happen regularly. His condition has not improved with the current medication he is under. I have already attached the prescriptions in my previous query. Please suggest.

Dr. Deepak Verma

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

I have seen the reports. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

These symptoms are looking like that of Meniere's disease in which there is swelling of the endolymphatic system, which means the balance organ is disturbed causing vertigo vomiting and hearing loss.

Meniere's disease.

He can continue tablet Acetazolamide and along with that Stugeron (Cinnarizine) 25 mg TDS (three times a day) will be beneficial for him.

Ask him to avoid tea and coffee, less salt in the diet, and good sleep is very beneficial.

Follow all these instructions and review after seven days.

Hearing has deteriorated significantly with vertigo. Can it be due to acoustic neuroma?

Query: Hi doctor, I have no current medications. Over the past 2 or 3 years, my hearing in my left ear only has deteriorated significantly. I would say it is less than half as good as my right. I went to an ENT doctor, with an audiologist appointment. The audiologist said I had a moderate hearing loss in ...  Read Full »

I have headache after using Nevanac ophthalmic suspension

Query: Hello doctor, I am 37 years old. I have discomfort and mild pain in the right eye since last four days. The doctor has advised taking Nevanac ophthalmic suspension 0.1 suspension, and Maxmoist eye drops for dry eye. He has advised to take Nevanac one drop four times daily in both eyes, and Maxmoist ...  Read Full »

Worst Headache Ever? It Could be Brain Aneurysm!!

Article Overview: A ruptured brain aneurysm is a potentially fatal condition that needs emergency care. This article helps you understand this condition and educates you regarding your treatment options. Read Article

Dr. Saurabh Joshi

This is a medical condition in which one of the arteries of the brain develops a weakened area that balloons out, like an inflated balloon. This can burst and result in bleeding within the brain. What Are the Symptoms of An Aneurysm? An unruptured aneurysm may not cause any symptoms. Some symptoms...  Read Article