Unipolar Depression

What is the treatment for my mother, who is suffering from recurrent unipolar depression?

Query: Hello doctor, My 48 year old mother is probably suffering from a recurrent unipolar depression as per the treatment that the local psychiatrist is giving. It seems that the medicines are not working this time. She is not able to get up from the bed and does not feel like doing anything, even her d...  Read Full »

Dr. Ramchandra Lamba

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. As your mother is suffering from a treatment-resistant depression, she is not responding to multiple drugs. ECT (electroconvulsive therapy) is a good treatment modality with very few side effects if administrated properly. Also, there are unlikely any long term side e...  Read Full »

How to identify a person having bipolar spectrum?

Query: Hi doctor,How to diagnose and treat bipolar II? How is it different from bipolar I? How do you identify people on the bipolar spectrum? What are the biggest misconceptions about Bipolar II? Is it the same thing as bipolar depression? Kindly explain me.  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Alike any psychiatric disorders, diagnosis of bipolar disorder is completely based on the history. This is elaborated from the patient, family members, colleagues and significant others. There are set of symptoms and the history need to suggest the presence of a cert...  Read Full »

What is unipolar and bipolar disorder?

Query: Hi doctor, I am facing severe anxiety for past two months due to over masturbation. I have consulted a psychiatrist two weeks ago and he informed me that I am suffering from bipolar disorder. I would like to know whether it is bipolar or unipolar disorder? I am taking Relihexy 2 mg, Blonitas 4 mg, ...  Read Full »

Dr. Saraswat Kumarshri Shriniwas

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Severe anxiety due to masturbation and guilt could occur in both depression and bipolar disorder or schizophrenia. The difference between unipolar depression and bipolar disorder is the presence of absence of a manic episode. If there is a history of manic episode, cur...  Read Full »

What are the reasons for feeling irritated, lonely, and emotionally unstable?

Query: Hello doctor, My cousin sister (age 25 years) is pursuing her studies and resides in a metro city. She lives alone. Often she feels irritated, lonely, and emotionally unstable. She also thinks that there is nothing to look forward to in her life, and she has no future. She is unable to concentrate ...  Read Full »

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I read your query and understand your concerns. From the available description, it is almost clear that she is suffering from depression. Depression is a common psychiatric disorder which occurs in 10 to 20 % of women and about 8 to 10% of men in their lifetime. Having ...  Read Full »