Q. Can I be pregnant if I had plan-B and Mirena IUD placed after having unprotected sex?

Dr. Richa Agarwal

I am looking for information to reassure myself that I am not pregnant. I had unprotected sex last month using the withdrawal method. I took the Plan B pill 30 minutes after. I also had a Mirena IUD placed three days later. I have not had sex since. I started testing for pregnancy two weeks after sex until 30 days. All my urine tests done at home and by my doctor have been negative. I had an hCG blood test that was also negative. I am currently taking tablet Zoloft 100 mg for anxiety. Please help.

#

I understand your concern.

As per your description, these symptoms could be due to hormonal imbalance. The chances of pregnancy are not there in your case as your blood beta hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin) test is negative. But as you missed your period, it could be an anovulatory cycle. I suggest you get your pelvic ultrasound to see the endometrial thickness, and also thyroid profile, and hemoglobin test for further evaluation.

Thanks for your reply. I had a transvaginal ultrasound, and it came back normal. Would an ectopic pregnancy produce hCG? Please help.

#

Yes, beta hCG is produced by ectopic pregnancy, but in that case, pelvic ultrasound or TVS (transvaginal ultrasound) should be done to rule out ectopic pregnancy. As in your case, the ultrasound is normal. Do you have a high beta hCG level?

|