Q. Could urine pregnancy test be false negative?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend on 5th of last month. It was the fifth day of her periods. Then, she took an I-pill within three hours. She got her periods on the 17th of the same month. May be it could be a discharge because of I-pill. After that, till now she has not gotten her periods. We have taken three pregnancy tests and all are negative. Can you please suggest the next step? Thank you.

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• Yes, it could be because of I-pill.
  • You can get blood hCG hormone (human chorionic gonadotropin) analysis. That will rule out pregnancy.
  • If not, then an ultrasound scan can be done, which will rule out pregnancy and any abnormalities of uterus, ovaries and cervix.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Does blood hCG or ultrasound scan a must? We took a urine pregnancy test. Could urine pregnancy test be false negative? Please explain.

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair B

Obstetrics And Gynaecology Sexology
#

• It depends. The scan can rule out pregnancy along with any other problems if present.
  • HCG can diagnose pregnancy only.
  • Rare to see a false negative urine pregnancy in positive cases. Most likely it is not pregnancy. So, get the scan and update.

Revert back with the report to an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

Will I-pill tablet work if taken two hours after the act?

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 25 years old and she had her period on the 14th of last month. On the 1st of this month, while having intercourse, unfortunately, the condom broke. She had taken I-pill within two hours. Can you please advise if the tablet will work or not?  Read Full »

Delayed period after abortion. Please help.

Query: Hello doctor, My wife is 23 years old. Two months back she had abortion. After abortion she is taking Folic acid and Ecosprin 75. Last month her period lasted for around 14 days and then doctor gave her Sandoz medication. This month her period date already has passed far off but still she is not hav...  Read Full »

I had sex with my partner last month and missed periods. Am I pregnant?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 35 years old and I had sex with my partner last month. My expected period date was a week later. Still, I did not get my periods. I have tried testing pregnancy strips the result was negative. I consumed Regestrone tablets for the past four days. We do not want to have a baby beca...  Read Full »