Q. I had oral sex with a sex worker. Is there any chance for me to pass herpes to my wife?

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney
Published on Dec 08, 2019

I was on a business trip and my friend and I went to a high-end brothel. My friend hired two girls and brought them back to the hotel. He had to take a phone call and while the girls were waiting for him they performed oral sex on me for a few minutes without a condom. They had no symptoms in their lips and facial region. I am worried, I contracted herpes. I got tested for chlamydia, syphilis, gonorrhea, hepatitis, and HIV and they came up negative.

It has been four weeks since the incindent and I have no herpes symtomps. What are my chances of having herpes? I know people might not show symptoms. I am married and I felt very guilty for what I had done and told my wife. We are planing to have kids. What are the chances of her getting herpes and passing on to our baby? I appreciate all your help with my concerns.

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Cosmetology Dermatology Venereology
#

I can understand your concern. There are very fewer chances of you having herpes since four weeks have passed and you have not developed any symptoms. But yes, herpes can even occur as sub clinical infection without presenting with any signs and symptoms.

I would recommend you go for an ELISA (enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test for herpesvirus that is HSV 1 IgG and HSV 2 IgG and HSV 1 IgM and HSV 2 IgM. These tests are confirmatory in herpesvirus infection. These will tell your herpes status. If positive there are chances of passing the infection to your wife but not very high since you are asymptomatic. I would recommend you to first get the tests done and find your status. Then we can discuss further possibilities.

| 

What are the preventive measures in case of slippage or breakage of condoms?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 37 year old heterosexual male. I am HIV negative with no known STD. I always have safe sex. I always have very safe sex with girls who are not sex workers. But may have casual sex with others. Generally, I would imagine that they too would be practicing safe sex with their regul...  Read Full »

Is unprotected sex on the fifth day of period safe?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex on the fifth day of my last periods and he pulled out on time. It has been 35 days and I have not got my periods. Is there any chance of getting pregnant?  Read Full »

Can HPV in sexually active individual cause throat cancer?

Query: Hello doctor, I do not show any signs or symptoms. Instead, I just want accurate information on the subject of HPV in a sexually active individual. I would like to know its role in throat cancer. Yes, I know it can cause it, but I would like to know more regarding numbers. Is it rare? What percent...  Read Full »

Ask a Venereologist Now