Q. I had unprotected sex yesterday, and I am worried about HIV and other STDs. What do I do?

Dr. Ravinder Kaur Sachdeva
This is a premium question & answer published on May 07, 2017 and last reviewed on: Sep 11, 2021

I am a 33 year old male, who had unprotected sex yesterday. I was drunk, but now, I am worried about HIV or any STDs for that matter. I do not have medical access for the next three months, as I am on a ship. If I express my apprehensions, it may cost me my job. I do have Lamivudine and Zidovudine on my ship. Please advise what I need to do. Although, I can buy any over-the-counter medicines after two days.

#

• We do not know the HIV status (human immunodeficiency virus) of the person with whom you had sex and also your baseline HIV status, the other thing you mentioned that you do not have medical access for next three months.
  • Considering the availability of only Lamivudine and Zidovudine on your ship and assuming that your baseline status is negative, I suggest you the following.
  1. To start with Zidovudine 300 mg and Lamivudine 150 mg, twice a day at 12 hours interval postmeal, for 28 days. It is recommended to start it as soon as possible within 72 hours of exposure. Do not miss a pill. The first side effect with these could be in the form of nausea, vomitings, and anemia.
  2. Get your baseline HIV status, hepatitis B serology, hepatitis C antibody, syphilis serology, gonorrhea and chlamydia PCR, and hemoglobin levels checked, whenever feasible.
  3. Take light meals.
  4. I advise you to use a barrier contraceptive (condoms) each time you have sex, to avoid the risk of HIV and other STDs (sexually transmitted diseases).
  5. Reduce the number of sexual partners and avoid sexual contact with a person of unknown status.
  6. Assuming the baseline HIV status is negative, repeat your HIV-antibody test at three months and six months interval of exposure.
  • Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

For more information consult an HIV AIDS specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/HIV-AIDS-specialist

|