iCliniq logo

Ask a Doctor Online Now

HomeAnswersHIV/AIDS specialistunprotected sexI am worried about STDs after unprotected sex. Please help.

What is the risk of transmitting STDs by unprotected sex?

The following is an actual conversation between an iCliniq user and a doctor that has been reviewed and published as a Premium Q&A.

Medically reviewed by

iCliniq medical review team

Published At May 7, 2017
Reviewed AtApril 22, 2024

Patient's Query

Hi doctor,

I am a 33 year old male, who had unprotected sex yesterday. I was drunk, but now, I am worried about HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) or any STDs (Sexually Transmitted Diseases) for that matter. I do not have medical access for the next three months, as I am on a ship. If I express my apprehensions, it may cost me my job. I do have Lamivudine and Zidovudine on my ship. Please advise what I need to do. Although, I can buy any over-the-counter medicines after two days.

Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com.

We do not know the HIV status (Human immunodeficiency virus) of the person with whom you had sex and also your baseline HIV status, the other thing you mentioned that you do not have medical access for next three months. Considering the availability of only Lamivudine and Zidovudine on your ship and assuming that your baseline status is negative, I suggest you the following. To start with Zidovudine 300 mg and Lamivudine 150 mg, twice a day at 12 hours interval post-meal, for 28 days. It is recommended to start it as soon as possible within 72 hours of exposure. Do not miss a pill. The first side effect with these could be in the form of nausea, vomitings, and anemia. Get your baseline HIV status, Hepatitis B serology, hepatitis C antibody, syphillis serology, gonorrhea and chlamydia PCR (Polymerase Chain Reaction), and hemoglobin levels checked, whenever feasible. Take light meals. I advise you to use a barrier contraceptive (condoms) each time you have sex, to avoid the risk of HIV (Human Immunodeficiency Virus) and other STDs (sexually transmitted diseases). Reduce the number of sexual partners and avoid sexual contact with a person of unknown status.Assuming the baseline HIV status is negative, repeat your HIV-antibody test at three months and six months interval of exposure. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and start taking the medicines after their consent.

Same symptoms don't mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Dr. Ravinder K. Sachdeva
Dr. Ravinder K. Sachdeva

HIV/AIDS specialist

Community Banner Mobile
By subscribing, I agree to iCliniq's Terms & Privacy Policy.

Ask your health query to a doctor online

HIV/AIDS specialist

*guaranteed answer within 4 hours

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. iCliniq privacy policy