Q. Is it necessary to worry about pregnancy even after taking I-pill?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
Published on Oct 18, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

I had protected sex with my wife. But, there was little semen outside the condom. To eliminate any chances of pregnancy, she took an I-pill after 36 hours of intercourse. Are there any chances of pregnancy and if not, are there any chances of her periods getting delayed?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

You have done the right thing.

• A sperm is a very efficient swimmer, and even a single sperm out of a million can fertilize the egg.
  • However, as she has taken the I-pill within 72 hours, at present, there is no risk assuming there was no unprotected sexual episode after that.

For more information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://icliniq.com./ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

| 

No, there was no sexual episode after that. So, if her periods get delayed this time then we do not need to be worried about pregnancy. Am I right?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya

Obstetrics And Gynaecology
#

• That is right. Emergency contraceptives can cause some unscheduled bleeding, spotting or even a delay in the subsequent cycle. This is due to the hormonal content of the pill. I do not think you have to worry about a delayed cycle.
  • But as a routine, please do a pregnancy testing if she does not get a bleeding even two weeks after a missed cycle.

| 

What pills would help my erection last longer?

Query: Hello doctor, I want some pills which will help to last my erection for long during the intercourse. Please suggest some pills which are available in local medical shops. Also, please list if there are any side effects of taking them.  Read Full »

Pregnancy tests are negative, but am still having pregnancy symptoms. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 27 year old female, who started taking birth control pills eight months back, but I only took it for a week and stopped taking them. In that same week, I had unprotected sex with my fiance, and I had my periods the next day. The next month I got my periods two weeks earlier, and I ...  Read Full »