Q. Took I-pill after one hour of unprotected sex. Will periods be regular?

Dr. Sanjay Kumar Bhattacharyya
This is a premium question & answer published on Nov 11, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

We had unprotected sex yesterday and scared about pregnancy. She took I-pill after one hour. Please suggest what else we need to do to avoid pregnancy. Her last period was 12 days back and her next period is after 20 days. So, will her periods be regular or not? If there is any possibility to occur some unwanted change then please convey us with treatment or checkup.

#

Your partner has taken the I-pill after one hour of sex. This rules out the chance of pregnancy in all respect. So, please relax. You have nothing to worry for now.

But, you should ask her to start regular pills like Femilon (Ethinyl estradiol and Desogestrel) or Novelon from first day of her next cycle. This should be continued for 21 days and new pack to be restarted after a gap of seven days. This is an excellent form of contraception.

Now, she may have some form of bleeding within two to three days. Do not panic. This is normal as a reaction of the I-pill.

Her next cycle will be delayed also. This is also normal. Just ask her to start the pill from then. Meanwhile, you use condom for protection as you cannot repeat I-pill so often.

Contraceptive guidelines.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

We had unprotected sex on the seventh day of her cycle. She had i-pill within an hour and suffering from bleeding after five days of i-pill, which is not heavy along with some lower abdomen pain. Is there any chance of pregnancy? When will she get her next period?

#

• As she had withdrawal bleeding, there is no chance of pregnancy.
  • Her next period may get delayed due to hormonal imbalance caused by i-pill, and you can expect it around the date of withdrawal bleeding.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|