Q. Will I-pill consumption affect my periods?

Dr. Radhakrishnan Nair. B
This is a premium question & answer published on May 08, 2016 and last reviewed on: Feb 19, 2020

I got my periods exactly one month back. I had unprotected sex with my boyfriend seven days back. I had one I-pill after two days at lunch time. My periods are regular. Will the tablet consumption affect my periods? Is there any possibility for pregnancy? Kindly help me.

#

Hope your periods are regular of around 28 to 30 days.

In that case nothing to worry as you had sex very much after ovulation period. And no need of I-pill also.

You should not be taking I-pill frequently. It is an emergency contraceptive pill.

For further doubts consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Now my problem is that I am getting vaginal discharge with some blood content and doctor gave me some medicine to minimize the discharge. After taking scan she told that there is a chance for pregnancy due to ovulation delay. So, I am very much conscious about her answer. Kindly help me. How can I identify this issue?

#

As I told earlier chances of pregnancy are less. First of all you have taken I-pill and intercourse happened very much beyond ovulation.

Now, to confirm you have to wait till your expected date and do a pregnancy test.

• By doing scan now it will be difficult to comment about your pregnancy, because you had sex only seven days back. So, wait till your date and do the test.
  • If negative then repeat it after three days with early morning urine sample. Still negative get a scan at that time which can confirm your pregnancy.

Above points will be applicable only if you had sex before eight days and your previous periods was 31 days ago.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

Still I am waiting for my periods. Again discharge has little blood content. In case I am pregnant, how can I avoid it?

#

I suggest you to repeat the scan if earlier was done 10 days back.

If negative you should be having a gynec checkup especially a speculum examination to rule out any abnormalities of cervix or inside vagina for the discharge.

Repeat scan and checkup to confirm your issue.

Not to worry if pregnant. If you do not want to continue then can abort it with medicines if detected before 7 to 8 weeks.

For more clarifications consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

|