Q. Can I use Unwanted 72 to terminate pregnancy?

Dr. Purushottam Sah
This is a premium question & answer published on Jan 23, 2017 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Is Unwanted 72 dangerous for health? Can I use Unwanted 72, if pregnancy is not confirmed?

#

• Unwanted 72 (emergency contraceptive pill) is for preventing pregnancy after unprotected sex, and it is not for termination of pregnancy.
  • It is usually safe and does not cause any serious problems though bleeding may be irregular.
  • If pregnancy is confirmed, then it should not be used. But, if there is no pregnancy, then it can be used to prevent pregnancy.

For further information consult an obstetrician and gynaecologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/obstetrician-and-gynaecologist

How to confirm pregnancy just after a day of intercourse? We are not sure about pregnancy. Please help.

#

• Pregnancy cannot be confirmed one day after intercourse because it takes 5 to 6 days for implantation.
  • It can be confirmed only after 9 to 10 days by a blood test called beta-hCG (human chorionic gonadotropin).
  • Unwanted 72 can be taken within 72 hours of sex, and for that confirmation of pregnancy is not needed.

|