Q. Should I repeat tablet Unwanted-72 after 12 hours to avoid pregnancy?

Dr. Poonguzhali Liston
and medically reviewed by Dr. Chithranjali Ravichandran

I have a query about the dosage of tablet Unwanted-72 for a 19-year-old girl. During deep penetration, the condom broke in. After the failure of the condom, I took the tablet Unwanted-72 immediately. Do I need to repeat the tablet within 12 hours? I took the tablet twice last time when the same happened. My ovulation day starts in the next three days, and the sperm can remain for five days in a woman's body.

Kindly help me.

#

I understand your concern.

Tablet Unwanted-72 is a single dose medication that must be taken within 72 hours of unprotected intercourse or contraception failure irrespective of age, weight, or day of the menstrual cycle.

The tablet Unwanted-72 acts by causing hormonal imbalance (surge in progesterone), which prevents the formation of conceptus and implantation by creating an unfavorable environment. This hormonal imbalance is caused irrespective of whether the sperm and ovum are present.

Repeating the dosage does not increase the medication's efficiency. Still, it will only add the side effects like spotting or irregular bleeding, vomiting, nausea, bloating and may also cause a delay in period.

I hope this was useful.

|