Q. What to do if there is no withdrawal bleeding after taking Unwanted 72?

Dr. Uzma Arqam

I had unprotected sex last week, and within three hours, I took Unwanted 72. It was the 11th day of my period. I usually have a 28 to 30 days cycle. Even after five days, I do not have a sign of withdrawal bleeding. What should I have to do if I do not get withdrawal bleeding?

#

If you have taken Unwanted 72 (Levonorgestrel) within 48 to 72 hours of unprotected sex, with a proper dosage without vomiting, then you can have bleeding within one to two weeks. If these requirements are fulfilled, then there is no need to worry, and you can wait for bleeding. If you do not observe bleeding even after three weeks, then it is better to have hormonal induction after doing a pregnancy test (beta hCG). If the pregnancy test comes negative, after two to three weeks, you take tablet Primolut N 10 mg (Norethisterone) twice daily for seven days and then again wait for bleeding for one to two weeks. Menstrual cycle usually gets disturbed due to externally induced hormones and until it gets rid of the body.

|