Q. I have unwanted hair on my upper lips and chin. What causes this?

Dr. Swaraj S W
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2019

I am a 23 year old girl. I have unwanted hair on my upper lips and chin. My breast size is also small. Is there any medicine which will help in getting rid of these problems?

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

1. Do you have hair anywhere else say tummy, back, thighs, around the nipples?
  2. Do you have a lot of acne also along with your excess hair growth?
  3. Is there any family history of similar problems?
  4. Are your menstrual cycles normal? Are there any irregularities?
  5. Did this excess hair grow suddenly over a period of years?

Answers to all the above questions shall help me guide you much better.

| 

I have a small amount of hair on my tummy, back, thighs, and around nipples. Yes, I have acne on the face. Sometimes I have delayed periods. There is no similar family history. It has been there for many years.

Dr. Swaraj S W

Diabetology Endocrinology
#

Your history is very suggestive of what is called PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease). It is a very common condition and easily managed. A few symptoms of PCOD are menstrual irregularities, weight gain, excessive hair growth in the face, acne, etc.

You need a few investigations to be done and also an ultrasound of your pelvis to look for your ovaries. You have to do the blood tests between the third to fifth day of your period on an empty stomach.

The tests are LH (Luteinizing Hormone), FSH (Follicle-Stimulating Hormone), prolactin, testosterone, TSH (Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone) and fT4 (Free T4) along with FBS (Fasting Blood Sugar) and HbA1C (Glycated hemoglobin).

| 

Suffering from PCOD and taking medicines, but still it has not reduced. Can you help ?

Query: Dear Doctor, I am a 29 year old female suffering from PCOD, taking medicines from past 1 year. But still it has not reduced. I was into Metformin and Folic acid. At the same time I have also taken medicines for conception (i.e, clomiphene). Follicar study has been conducted for four times and only ...  Read Full »

I have PCOD from the last 10 years. Please suggest a permanent cure.

Query: Hello doctor,I am 25, married and sexually active. I suffered from PCOD for a while, took all sorts of allopathic and homeopathic medicines and when I got scanned two months ago, PCOD was not found. I thought this is the end of my problem but, still, my periods are irregular. Last time, I was la...  Read Full »

Are swollen breast and less facial hair signs of infertility?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 25 year old male. My weight is 65 kg and height is 5'5". I am having enlarged breast and very less facial hair. Will this lead to infertility? I am not taking any medicine. I have consulted an endocrinologist regarding this. He examined my chest and suggested me to get a hormon...  Read Full »

Ask an Endocrinologist Now