Q. I have unwanted hair on my upper lips and chin. What causes this?

Dr. Swaraj S W
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 01, 2015 and last reviewed on: Jan 10, 2019

I am a 23 year old girl. I have unwanted hair on my upper lips and chin. My breast size is also small. Is there any medicine which will help in getting rid of these problems?

#

1. Do you have hair anywhere else say tummy, back, thighs, around the nipples?
  2. Do you have a lot of acne also along with your excess hair growth?
  3. Is there any family history of similar problems?
  4. Are your menstrual cycles normal? Are there any irregularities?
  5. Did this excess hair grow suddenly over a period of years?

Answers to all the above questions shall help me guide you much better.

I have a small amount of hair on my tummy, back, thighs, and around nipples. Yes, I have acne on the face. Sometimes I have delayed periods. There is no similar family history. It has been there for many years.

#

Your history is very suggestive of what is called PCOD (Polycystic Ovarian Disease). It is a very common condition and easily managed. A few symptoms of PCOD are menstrual irregularities, weight gain, excessive hair growth in the face, acne, etc.

You need a few investigations to be done and also an ultrasound of your pelvis to look for your ovaries. You have to do the blood tests between the third to fifth day of your period on an empty stomach.

The tests are LH (Luteinizing Hormone), FSH (Follicle-Stimulating Hormone), prolactin, testosterone, TSH (Thyroid-Stimulating Hormone) and fT4 (Free T4) along with FBS (Fasting Blood Sugar) and HbA1C (Glycated hemoglobin).

|