Q. Is there an ayurvedic remedy for permanent removal of unwanted body hair?

Dr. Alka
Published on Dec 16, 2017 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2019

I have got unwanted hair all over my body. I have tried laser treatment on my face. After like 14 treatments, the intensity though has reduced, but it is not as expected. There is only a 50 % reduction. What should I do? Should I continue getting laser treatments or is there another ayurvedic way out?

Dr. Alka

#

I just read your query. The condition in which excessive hair grows all over the body is called hirsutism. It is usually a harmless condition but often makes a person feel embarrassed and unconfident sometimes.

There might be many causes behind this condition like the production of excessive androgens (male hormones) in a female, PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome), genetic problem or sometimes medication. The first two are one of the common reasons affecting a majority of females. Some other rare conditions include a tumour of the adrenal gland, tumor of ovaries, Cushing's syndrome and hyperthecosis (where ovaries produce excessive male hormone), but these are very rare conditions. Sometimes there might not be any proper cause for the condition.

If you have performed all the lab tests including hormonal tests (prolactin, FSH, LH, testosterone) and these are normal then do perform an ultrasound to rule out PCOS because, in this condition, the ovaries produce excessive male hormones which may cause excessive hair growth. In PCOS along with hair growth, some other symptoms also occur like an irregular menstrual cycle, weight gain, etc. But sometimes these symptoms might not be present. If PCOS is present then you have to take treatment for that too for some time and do not worry because you can control your problem of PCOS with treatment.

Now coming to your present problem of excessive hair growth, as you have been taking laser treatment, and it has shown a 50 % reduction and you wish to continue for some more sessions then you can go for it according to advise of your dermatologist. Sometimes, laser treatment completely cures the problem and sometimes there are chances of hair growing back.

You can try these ayurvedic remedies for hair growth problem:

One of the most common reasons behind the hair growth problem is an excessive level of testosterone (male hormone). Start taking one cup of Spearmint tea daily in the morning. This tea helps in reducing excessive male hormone. Take it regularly, it will help you a lot. You will find this tea easily in any nearby ayurvedic store or you can order it online.

For removal of hairs naturally, you can try this: After removing excessive hair from the body, take pure Thanaka powder, which is obtained from Thanaka tree also called elephant tree. This powder you can take from any ayurvedic medicine shop. Mix this powder with pure kusumba oil (safflower oil). Make a paste of these two. Massage this paste on the area in a circular motion till it gets absorbed. Do not wash it or wipe it for three to four hours or preferably apply it in the night before sleeping.

Repeat this process every day for 100 days and you will see an immensely positive result and decreased hair growth. Along with a reduction in hair growth, this combination is also helpful in making skin more lustrous. If you feel irritated or rashes occur over skin then you can remove it. But usually, this mixture does not have any side effects. Mild buring sensation might be present but if it goes within few seconds then do not worry. You can apply this mixture to the face as well as over the body. You can consult your dermatologist before applying it if you want to, but it usually does nothave any side effect. So, go for it.

Do perform the ultrasound and any hormonal test, if not performed earlier, and if PCOS, do take treatment for that too.

Try both these regularly and you will soon feel positive results.

For more information consult an ayurveda specialist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ayurveda-specialist

Can PCOS cause irregular periods?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 28 year old unmarried woman. Last month my period was irregular. I got my periods on the 30th of last month and it was already 20 days later from the actual due. Initially, I had spotting for five days, then I bled for seven days and again, had spotting for three days. Now, I am bl...  Read Full >>

Dr. Neha Singh Rathod

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Please do not worry. Irregular periods are not an alarming thing to worry about. Irregular periods are due to stress and strain anxiety work pressure change of place change in climate low blood count thyroid disorders or uterine or ovarian problems. Please...  Read Full

Does laser hair removal help with acne?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 21-year-old man. I would like to ask your opinion about laser hair removal. I have read a lot in the last days and almost everywhere it is said that it is not bad for your health and body and one of the best ways to deal with hair. I am thinking about doing laser removal of hai...  Read Full >>

Dr. Ashwini V Swamy

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. The laser is a safe, painless and permanent method to get rid of unwanted hairs. It is called laser hair reduction to be more precise. Let me explain to you how this laser works: When the laser is passed through the skin, it targets melanocyte (pigment-producing...  Read Full

Will PCOS delay pregnancy?

Query: Hi doctor, I am 28 years old. My height is 5'4" and weight is 70 kg. We have been trying for pregnancy for a year. My husband's reports were all normal. I am having PCOS, but my periods are very regular. I am on Oxetol 300 mg for partial seizure since one year. I am also taking Metformin 500 mg t...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. Having seen your PCOS reports (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it is suggested that you should opt for controlled ovarian stimulation and intrauterine insemination procedure. It will increase your chance of conception by 20 percent as it would r...  Read Full

Ask an Ayurveda Specialist Now