Q. How to avoid unwanted pregnancy in unprotected sex?

Dr. Poornima Kinila

I had unprotected sex with my partner yesterday and today. I have not done any family planning, and I want to avoid pregnancy. My husband says he will make sure that I will not get pregnant, even without protection. Is it possible? If it is not safe, what should I do now? Is there any pill I can take?

And please suggest any oral pill to avoid pregnancy for the time being. After two months, I am planning for family planning. Please help.

#

I read through your query. If there was withdrawal at the time of sexual intercourse without evacuation of semen inside, then chances of pregnancy are remote. But even the pre-secretions can contain semen, and if deposited outside as well, pregnancy can happen. That is why it is not 100 percent safe.

You can take Unwanted 72 or i-pill within 72 hours of sexual intercourse. These give protection for up to 97 percent.

Can you please let me know the safe days after periods to have sex without protection and not worry about pregnancy?

#

Having sex without protection is not 100 percent effective even when followed strictly. Calculate the safe period by subtracting 18 from your shortest cycle length and 11 from the longest file length. These two numbers that you obtain are the unsafe period. But if your cycle lengths are shorter than 26 days, this method is most unreliable.

|