Q. I am coughing up sputum with silver specks. Kindly help me.

Dr. Sugreev Singh
and medically reviewed by Dr. Sushrutha Muralidharan

I am coughing up sputum with silver specks. I have been feeling unwell, and lab results show bacteria. My doctor says it is nothing to worry about. I cough up thick sputum with silver in it. It drys really hard like plastic. It is coming up from my lungs. I am attaching my reports. I am under Zoloft. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Your reports show that you have a bacterial infection (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). Do not worry. It can be treated with antibiotics. There are both types of infection in your sputum, gram-positive and negative, which is common. But moreover, it is gram-positive bacteria that cause sore throat and cough. Can you please tell me when do you have this cough? Are you allergic to an antibiotic? Did you have a fever recently or a sore throat?

Please answer so I can guide you accordingly.

Why my sputum has silver speck and hard? I wake up coughing it up in the night. Kindly give your opinion.

#

It is due to infection only due to infection there is the formation of bends and, later on, converts into a hard substance. If you recently got it, then antibiotics will be sufficient to treat. Can you please tell me, since when do you have this cough? Did you take the antibiotic course for this cough?

Please answer the questions so that I can guide you accordingly.

I have had this cough, sore throat, headache, and coughing up thick glue-like sputum with white and grey bubbles, which dries hard and has silver-like mercury. I have not taken any antibiotics. I have had it for nine months. Kindly give your opinion.

#

Then it is chronic because you have it for nine months. It will take time to subside despite antibiotics and all.

I would suggest you take the following medications:

1) Tablet Azithromycin 500 mg once a day (afternoon) after meal for five days.

2) Tablet Multivitamin 500 mg once a day after meal (evening) for seven days.

3) Syrup Bromhexine Elixir take 3 ml after meal twice a day for five days.

Drink lukewarm water only and let me know the results after five days. I will go for further treatment and testing accordingly.

I hope this was helpful.

|