Q. My 2-year-old kid is having cough and cold for the past one week. What medicines shall I give?

Dr. Deepak Patel

My son is 2 years old and his weight is 11 kg. He has a problem of cold and fever since last week. I consulted a doctor on icliniq and he suggested tablet Combiflam thrice a day and Allegra 500 mg before sleeping. However, I took syrup of both and understand that the doctor would have missed the kid's age and prescribed the tablets. I have been giving him both for the last four days but there is no improvement in fever and it comes back as soon as the medicine effect goes off. Please advise further.

#

I can understand your concerns. Fever for four days in a child with mild cough can be due to upper respiratory tract infection, typhoid, or malaria. Kindly do tests like CBC (complete blood count), malarial antigen test and widal test.

Give Syrup Ziprax 3.5 ml three times a day for three days, syrup Sinarest 5 ml three times a day for three days, and syrup Crocin 6 ml if fever occurs. Review with reports.

Please find the blood test reports done. Please advise the conclusive final medicine and their doses and duration. All advised tests are negative.

#

There are no reports attached. Kindly attach the report again.

Even if reports are negative, then also you should give the medicine as prescribed for five days. Do temperature charting every six hours. Clinically, it looks like typhoid. If there is no improvement in 24 hours then get the child examined by a doctor.

|