Q. My upper respiratory tract infection and sinus drip did not subside even with antibiotics. Why?

Dr. Zubayeralam

I had an upper respiratory infection three weeks ago and took antibiotics for three days. I am not better yet. I have pain in the left sinus, mucus from the sinus dripping into the throat, chesty cough, and dry airways when breathing.

Yesterday I went to a doctor, and he prescribed me Clarithromycin 500 twice a day for ten days and Moxifloxacin 400 mg once daily for ten days. I have never been prescribed two antibiotics at the same time, and I am worried about taking both at the same time. Could I take one of them? And if yes, which one should I keep?

#

I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you have been suffering from cough, sore throat, sinus infection, etc. Your query is whether it is helpful to use both Moxifloxacin and Clarithromycin together or not.

Using Moxifloxacin and Clarithromycin can increase the risk of an irregular heart rhythm that may be serious and potentially life-threatening, although it is a relatively rare side effect. Moxifloxacin belongs to the group of medications known as Fluoroquinolone, which is used to treat a wide variety of infections caused by bacteria like pneumonia, sinus infection, and many more.

Clarithromycin belongs to the group of medications known as macrolides, which treat various types of bacterial infections like pneumonia, especially atypical pneumonia, respiratory tract infections, sinus infection, etc.

Moxifloxacin is almost equivalent to Clarithromycin in eradicating bacterial infections. For a sinus infection, I think any one of them is enough, and no need to use both of them together. If you have pneumonia, then those combinations can be used. Otherwise, you can take either Moxifloxacin or Azithromycin, which you previously used without any side effects.

I will just take Clarithromycin then.

#

Yes you can take. Clarithromycin is a good choice.

|