Q. Pain in left lower stomach for a while with a recent episode of blood in mucus while spitting. Please help.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 15, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 03, 2020

My left lower stomach is having pain from quite a few months. I was an active smoker but now I left smoking a few days ago and the day before yesterday I saw blood in my mucus and today also while spitting small amount of blood came so I am a little worried that what it might be.

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

Well, I must ensure you that you are too young to develop any serious thing within your lungs or upper respiratory tract because of that much smoking. I am wondering if you could tell me how many years you have been smoking? and what is the number of cigarettes per day? And do you have a habit of drinking alcohol as well? Since this information will help us to assess the stage of insult to the lungs and upper respiratory tract after smoking.

Now the blood in mucus/sputum can be secondary to certain possibilities, commonly associated with the smoking.

1. Inflammation of the upper respiratory tract namely pharyngitis, laryngitis, or epiglottis. These are all parts of the upper respiratory tract and can be inflamed with the use of smoking.

2. Inflammation of the lower respiratory tract namely tracheitis and bronchitis and lastly the involvement of the lung tissues.

3. Esophageal (food pipe) ulcers which can commonly occur secondary to smoking.

I highly think, that you have upper respiratory tract inflammation secondary to smoking and this should resolve once the effects of smoking will go away. Only thing you have to do is continue stopping smoking.

I suggest some inflammatory and anti-allergic medication to help with your spitting and blood. You can take Aspirin gargles. Take one tablet of mini Aspirin 75 mg and dissolve in 200 ml of water. Do gargles of this. Tablet Kestine 10 mg once daily for seven days, capsule Esomeprazole 40 mg half an hour before meals. This is an acid suppressant medication that would help to heal any ulcers/or inflammation within your food pipe.

You can get an x-ray chest with PA (posteroanterior) view just to make sure if everything is alright within the lower respiratory tract.

Upper respiratory tract inflammation secondary to chronic smoking.

Chest x-ray. Complete blood count. Prothrombin time and INR (international normalized ratio). APTT (active partial thromboplastin time).

Follow up if symptoms do not improve within 48 hours of use of the above medicines.

| 

I have been smoking weed for the last one year, almost two joints per day. I sometimes drink whisky but regularly I just drink beer. But from a few days, I decided to stop doing smoking and drinking . As you said, I will go for x-ray but I am worried that does x-ray also have a bad effect on my body. One more thing, I wanted to add that I have been drinking less amount of water from the last year and did that also triggered my problem?

Dr. Ajeet Kumar Lohana

Medical Gastroenterology
#

I can very well understand your concern about the x-ray. But x-ray chest gives only a small fraction of radiation and usually people do not get harm with such small radiations nor they impact on any short term or long term complications. On the cost of small radiation, we probably may know about the status of your lung. This will help us in short term management of your current problem. So I suggest you to consider doing it.

Well, water intake is essential for life. It help humans in many different ways. But I do not think that low water intake would have caused your current symptoms. If you were taking a small amount of water, I suggest you to take at least two liters of water at least in a day. This is required to maintain our basic metabolic rate of the body.

Thankfully you geared to stop taking whiskey and smoking. They are both harmful to your health. You know smoking and the weed can cause 100 different problems in your body. The top of which is shortened overall life span. On this note, I brotherly advise you not to think of smoking again. I know this must be a hard time for you, but you can ask for help from an addiction specialist in your city. They may provide you some something to curtail your craving for smoking and alcohol.

Alcohol however is harmful to health, but a moderate alcohol intake say 1 to 2 drinks of beer (no more than 10 -20 gm of alcohol) would not cause much trouble otherwise. But smoking, particularly weed smoking is injurious to health at all instance and should be avoided at all cost.

Stop smoking. One to two drink of alcohol not more than 10-20 gm in a day is allowed, if find hard to stop at once. See a addiction specialist, which would help you curtail the craving for alcohol and smoking. Take approximately two liters of water in a day.

Follow up within a week as I can assess your symptoms. Your stomach pain should resolve with the medications I suggested.

|