Q. What can be the reason behind my neck stiffness and headache?

Dr. C. Elanchezhian

I am a 26-years-old male patient with a height of 174 cm and weighing 70 kg. I have had a small fiber neuropathy for two years, and my current treatment is tablet Pregabalin 150 mg twice a day. A week ago, I started coughing for no reason to the point of causing pain in my ribs. There was never a fever, and the cough passed on its own. However, for the past four days, I have felt discomfort in my throat, on the right side, as if I had a foreign body.

I also have a stiff neck with headaches. Neck stiffness runs from the base of my neck to the back of my head. They are more often located on the right than on the left but its present bilateral. There is no fever, no vomiting, or photophobia. I can extend my neck to my chest with no problem. I consulted a doctor almost two days back who was not alarmed and prescribed me antibiotics and anti-inflammatories because the back of my throat was red. However, I am beginning to be worried about this stiffness and headaches. I also have pain in the jaw and shoulder blades, but more sporadically. I do not know if my condition requires an emergency consultation. I am of a nervous temperament. I would add that I also often have the feeling of having my ears blocked. Please help guide me.

#

Since you have throat pain, congestion, neck pain, and ear block, these indicate a severe upper respiratory tract infection. I would suggest you follow medications before the throat swab test.

1. Tablet Pan 40 (Pantoprazole) twice a day before food.
  2. Tablet Cipro (Ciprofloxacin) 500 mg twice a day after food.
  3. Tablet Combiflam (Ibuprofen 400 mg and Paracetamol 325 mg) twice daily.
  4. Tablet Montek LC (Levocitrizine 5 mg and Montelukast 10 mg) once a day at night.
  5. Tablet Chymoral forte (Chymotrypsin 100000 AU) twice a day for five days.

Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with them and take the medicines with their consent.

Also, I suggest you do a saltwater gargle twice daily.

Hello dotor,

Thanks doctor.

I requested the visit of a doctor to be auscultated. Neck stiffness, as I am describing it to you, is it, therefore, typical in this context? Same for headaches? I feel like my head is squeezed sometimes, and my face is squeezed.

#

Any upper respiratory tract infection may cause neck stiffness and headache. Therefore, there is no need to be worried. You will be fine.

|