Q. Why is my ear rumbling following a throat infection?

Answered by Dr. Nasheed Baig and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.

Do you have a question on Upper Respiratory Tract Infection or Ear Blockage? We have medical experts to help you right away. Ask a Doctor Now »

I am 35 years old. About 4 weeks ago, I had a viral infection of the throat and nose, which lasted for about a week. At that time, my left ear became completely blocked with fluid for at least a few days. Then, I started getting a low rumbling noise in my ear. At first, I used to get the noise on and off. However, for the last three and a half weeks it has been almost constantly rumbling. It sounds like a car engine, however, when I tilt or shake my head it goes off and then comes straight back. The interesting thing is that for every two to three days it stops for about 6 hours. But, during that time if I tilt my head, then I get a slight whooshing sound in my ear. What this could be? And how long this will likely last? It is driving me crazy.