Q. Why is my ear rumbling following a throat infection?

Dr. Nasheed Baig
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 13, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jul 04, 2020

I am 35 years old. About 4 weeks ago, I had a viral infection of the throat and nose, which lasted for about a week. At that time, my left ear became completely blocked with fluid for at least a few days. Then, I started getting a low rumbling noise in my ear. At first, I used to get the noise on and off. However, for the last three and a half weeks it has been almost constantly rumbling. It sounds like a car engine, however, when I tilt or shake my head it goes off and then comes straight back. The interesting thing is that for every two to three days it stops for about 6 hours. But, during that time if I tilt my head, then I get a slight whooshing sound in my ear. What this could be? And how long this will likely last? It is driving me crazy.

Dr. Nasheed Baig

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

This problem is called as tinnitus.

As you have mentioned, you started with this problem after an upper respiratory tract infection that resulted in effusion in your ear through blockage of eustachian tube.

It is quite possible that your eustachian tube is still not properly functioning and producing this problem.

You should have a PTA test (pure tone audiometry) as well as tympanometry. Also, you need to see an ENT specialist for further physical evaluation.

For further information consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

| 

Would I be able to clear the ear in eustachian tube infection? Because, I can clear the ear if I blow against my nose.

Dr. Nasheed Baig

Otolaryngology (E.N.T)
#

• Please try to understand that my words are based on your description.
  • The most important thing in making a diagnosis is physical examination of a patient. As you had a recent history of eustachian tube blockage, I linked your tinnitus with it.
  • Your ENT doctor will be able to guide you or advise investigations based on your clinical signs as well.

For further doubts consult an ENT otolaryngologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/ENT-Otolaryngologist

|