Q. Applying coconut oil for dry skin on penis shaft cause redness and burning in urethra. Is it balanitis?

I have dry masturbated for years and it created dry, itchy skin on my penis shaft. I read where coconut oil had soothing qualities for sore skin. So I tried it for four to five times for three days. Some of it got into my urethra. I noticed some minor redness five days ago so I stopped. I have no burning when I urinate. No discharge. The only sex I have had in months was oral and that person is STD free per doctor’s tests in March. I have never had an STD. But it is slightly uncomfortable. I have a doctor's appointment scheduled for a week from now but was curious what my treatment options could be?

Cardiology General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

Normally, the tip of urethra is slightly more reddish compared to the rest of the penis head, as the mucosa is thin over there compared to the penis head. It is possible that you have not noticed it or paid attention to it before, and now became more aware due to oil application.

Now if you are very sure that it has gone more red after the oil has entered it then also in the absence of other symptoms, you do not need any treatment for it. It would settle on its own, however, we would like to get a urine routine examination just to rule out the possibility of urine infection, which appears unlikely to me.

So I think it is not a worrisome issue and you may continue to apply oil or Vaseline to penis shaft carefully. The next course of action should be urine routine examination and treating infection if we find it, which appears unlikely. Also, you should have plenty of water for a few days atleast. If possible, avoid masturbation for a few days to avoid mechanical trauma to it.

| 

I appreciate the fast reply and detail. I am uploading a picture.

#

Although image is not very clear (attachment removed to protect patient identity), but I do not think there is anything to worry about. It is likely a physiological or normal form of redness, which might have been slightly aggravated due to irritation by oil. But in the absence of symptoms like significant burning, it is not significant.

So if we consider this redness to be abnormal then burning or pus discharge is expected, which is not there. So wait and watch for other symptoms or urine routine examination would be appropriate, in my opinion. So in absence of other symptoms, this slight redness is not significant or abnormal.

| 

I have more mild discomfort and irritation in the penis head than burning. I just went to the bathroom and there was no burning at all. There is no burning while urinating. In reading stuff online, I wondered if balanitis was a possibility here.

#

I do not think this is significant and unlikely to be balanitis. Balanitis would involve while penis head and not only limited to the tip of urethra. It would be very evident and you would see reddened, swollen and tender penis head. And it would have progressed symptomatically by now if it was balanitis. So may watch for the development of balanitis symptoms or development of burning. Have plenty of water as dehydration itself can cause some urethral burning or irritation, which you may confuse with UTI (urinary tract infection).

| 

I appreciate your thoroughness in each response. I have attached the files.

#

Images are good (attachment removed to protect patient identity) and I would like to stick to my previous opinions. It does not appear abnormal to me and let us see if any new appears.

|