Q. Other than UTI, what can cause urethral discomfort?

Dr. Vivekanandan G
This is a premium question & answer published on Jul 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Jun 03, 2020

I am a 24 year old female. I was previously diagnosed with UTI for three to four times in the last two years. Now, I have a frequently occurring problem of itching and burning in my urethra about three to four times in a month. It stays for around 4 to 5 hours and slowly goes off after drinking lots of water and visiting the washroom every now and then. This generally happens when I miss drinking required amount of water. I drink a plenty of water of more than 8 liters a day. It also happens when I miss going to the washroom if my bladder is full. Kindly help me as my life is getting severely affected by this and I stay quite depressed owing to this. I have taken Urispas when the situation gets worse. The urine culture reports show nothing negative. Is there any treatment for this? What are the necessary precautions?

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

• First of all, drinking 8 liters of water a day will harm your kidneys. Bring it down to not more than 3 liters per day.
  • All burning sensation in urethra is not due to UTI (urinary tract infection). So, the next time when you develop urethral discomfort, please do a urine micro and culture to confirm the diagnosis.
  • If it is proven UTI, then you can take a suppressive dose of antibiotics like Nitrofurantoin for three months to break the cycle.

For further information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

Thanks a lot for your advice. Since this burning sensation goes away on its own, what can be the causes other than UTI for this discomfort? How may this be prevented or cured?

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Andrology Urology
#

• It could be due to either concentrated urine, which can be cleared by increasing fluids and taking urinary alkalinizer like citralka.
  • Or it could be due to urethral syndrome, which needs more evaluation to confirm the diagnosis and institute treatment.

For further doubts consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|