Q. Are there any complications associated with panurethral stricture?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.
Published on Feb 20, 2016 and last reviewed on: Apr 23, 2019

I am a 30 year old male. I had a BMG urethroplasty a week ago. Currently urinating with catheter due to pan-anterior urethral stricture. Are there any complications and risks associated with it?

Dr. Muhammad M. Hanif Md.

Cardiology Critical Care Physician General Medicine Internal Medicine
#

I welcome you and want to assure you need not worry as everything is going to be fine if proper care and treatment is opted in for. I have thoroughly gone through your case and can well understand your genuine health concerns.

1. The panurethral stricture is rather a less common but serious challenging surgical issue the urologists have to face.

2. This surgery is usually challenging as there is scanty tissue to cover the whole length of the urethra. Also as we know the reason for panurethral strictures is usually inflammatory disease, so the results of surgical repair may be less than expected on the scale of satisfaction. It is due to the spongiofibrosis of the repaired tissue.

3. During the post-operative period, infections and breakdown of the repaired tissue is commonly seen as a complication. But with all these risks, still this surgery is going on very successfully throughout the globe.

If there is urinary tract infection your physician may prescribe you with Nitrofurantoin (Macrodantin).

Take cranberry juice to avoid infection.

Cataract Surgery FAQ - Eye Health

Article Overview: No one in the world is free from aging. It is only natural that cataract, a disease of aging, is the most commonly performed non-emergency, daycare surgery in the world. In this article, I try to answer commonly asked questions from cataract patients. Read Article

Dr. Manjunath Natarajan
Eye Care Ophthalmologist

No one in the world is free from aging. It is only natural that cataract, a disease of aging is the most commonly performed non-emergency, daycare surgery in the world. Here I have dealt with questions that cataract patients commonly ask me. How do I know that I have developed cataract? Almost eve...  Read Article

How to treat vaginal dryness and pain following a UTI?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full »

Grade 3 dislocation of ACL. Is surgery compulsory?

Query: Hello doctor, My husband dislocated his ACL. I would like to get his X-rays evaluated for a second opinion. He was diagnosed with grade III dislocation. Is surgery necessary based on the X-rays attached? What are the risks if he does not operate? How does non-operative treatment compare? How long d...  Read Full »