Urethritis or urethral inflammation occurs in bacterial or viral infection. The infection may or may not be due to sexual practices. Hence they are classified as gonococcal caused by Neisseria gonorrhea and non-gonococcal caused by chlamydia trachomatis. Symptoms include an urge to urinate, burning sensation during urination, vaginal or penile discharge, and difficulty while urinating.

Recently Answered Questions Recently Answered Questions

All the answers published in this website are written by Verified medical doctors, therapists and health experts. The Content has been moderated by iCliniq medical review team before publication. Post your medical clarifications on iCliniq by choosing the right specialty and get them answered. Your medical queries will be answered 24/7 by top doctors from iCliniq.

Why do I have a sensitive urethra and frequent urination two days after sex?

Query: Hello doctor, I had unprotected sex with a girl. After two days, the tip of my urethra has been sensitive, and I have had frequent urination. A small bump has also appeared at the bottom of my urethra. What can I do? Please help.  Read Full »

Dr. Nisha Marhatta

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. It can be a post-contact infection. I suggest you take an STD (sexually transmitted diseases) screening test to check the above. I hope this helps. Thank you.  Read Full »

My urine stream splits into two paths while urinating. Should I be worried?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 39-year-old male. My weight is 78 kg and my height is 171 cm. For the past seven to eight days, when I urinate, the pressure is normal but sometimes the stream splits into two paths. Usually, the second stream comes from underneath the main stream; sometimes it goes to the left....  Read Full »

Dr. Shahil Khant

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. This is a common problem and there is nothing to worry.. In your case, two streams may occur because of urethral mucosa getting stuck with each other temporarily. The mucosa of urethra gets stuck because of urethral secretions which is normal. There is not...  Read Full »

What can be the reason for blood in my pants?

Query: Hi doctor, I have had NSU in the past and was worried that it would come back. The doctor checked me yesterday and screened for white blood cells by testing, but there was nothing wrong. But this morning, I noticed blood in my pants. I am unsure if the blood has come from my penis. I am distressed ...  Read Full »

Dr. Vaibhav

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. The presence of blood in pants needs to be investigated to know the cause and source of bleeding. I suggest doing a urine microscopy test and ultrasound of the abdomen and pelvis. Urine microscopy will confirm the presence of blood in urine, and ultrasound will help...  Read Full »

Can masturbation with urethritis symptoms lead to the formation of anti-sperm antibodies?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a 25-year-old male, never been sexually active. I have had urethritis or balanitis symptoms for two months now. It started after a new soap got in my urethra. It has been very uncomfortable. I had three urinalysis (first void and clean catch). All came back negative for everything. ...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Fertility and infection are two different things, and no need to worry about fertility if you got an infection. Regarding anti-sperm antibodies, it is rare, and you do not need to worry about it. It comes with testicular trauma or torsion. If untreated, then sperms co...  Read Full »

What are the symptoms after kidney stones are passed out?

Query: Hi doctor, After 5 mm stone passed out of the urinary system, within few days, I have symptoms of frequent urination with burning sensation while urinating and a feeling of pressure in the lower right abdominal area. The symptoms started about three weeks ago. Medications tried are tablet Levofloxa...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thank you for consulting. A stone passage can cause inflammation in the lower ureter and vesicoureteric junction, which can cause symptoms like frequency and urgency. However, symptoms started three weeks ago and are not gone yet. So it is unlikely for me to be related ...  Read Full »

How to treat the sticky penile discharge due to urethritis?

Query: Hello doctor, My urologist diagnosed me with nonspecific urethritis and prescribed a five-day antibiotic course, which helped and stopped the burning sensation and sensitive to touch feeling on my penile tip. My urine culture and blood test came out fine, but now the penile discharge remains. It is...  Read Full »

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Urethritis treated with antibiotics for five days and now still have persistent pus discharging from the urethra. Urine culture came negative. First, what is supposed to be done is do a pus swab for culture and wait for the result to see the bacteria. We can then targ...  Read Full »

What causes redness on the penis head?

Query: Hi doctor,My wife and I welcomed our first child last year. We had intercourse four months after she had healed. Following, almost immediately, I noticed a slight red color on my penis head. There are no sores or markings besides the redness. I have been using Hydrocortisone cream and Lotrimin. Now ...  Read Full »

Dr. Muhammad Zubayer Alam

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Thanks for the query. I can understand your concern. According to your statement, you suffer from the penis head's redness with urethra and soreness during active or sweating. According to the pictures (attachment removed to protect patient identity) provided here...  Read Full »

Can urethritis cause a tingling sensation and penile discomfort?

Query: Hi doctor, I think I have some urethritis. I have penile discomfort and a tingling or shivering sensation running down the underside of my penis. It started around two weeks after receiving unprotected oral sex (only). I have been tested twice, two weeks after the symptoms began, and four weeks afte...  Read Full »

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. This can be urethritis, as you mentioned, or can be prostatitis. It needs prolonged antibiotic therapy to prevent relapse. I recommend the following regimen: Tablet Septra DS (Sulfamethoxazole and Trimethoprim) twice a week for four weeks, followed by once a day for...  Read Full »

I believe I have chlamydia prostatitis. Please suggest a treatment.

Query: Hello doctor, I believe I have chlamydia prostatitis. Six months ago, I started showing signs of prostatitis. I had a hard time urinating fully, I had pain and burning, fever, clear discharge. I was put on eight weeks Cipro. My body did not respond well to the Cipro. I stopped and had a chance to s...  Read Full »

Dr. Karthik Rajan

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. I need to know a few more details to answer your query better: Did you have any fever with your symptoms? Where is your pain mostly, near your anal region or along the urethra? What side effects did you have on taking Ciprofloxacin? If your symptoms are similar ...  Read Full »

The tip of my penis is red and swollen. What to do?

Query: Hello doctor, I am 29 years old. Since the last 10 days, I am having a serious red swollen tip of the penis with burning and stinging after urinating. Initially, I thought it might be because of UTI. So, my doctor had written for urine routine test and urine culture test which came negative. But th...  Read Full »

Dr. Mahmoud Ahmed Abdelrahman Abouibrahim

Answer: Hello, Welcome to icliniq.com. I understand your concerns. I have checked all the attached photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity). Most probably, you have urethritis which may be caused by many organisms. I have two questions in order to exclude any serious infection: Do you ...  Read Full »

ask-doctor-img Ask a Doctor Online

* Your first query consult is free!

Search for a Health Issue

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.