Q. I have sticky penile discharge even after a five-day antibiotic course for urethritis. Please help.

Dr. Samer S J Altawil

My urologist diagnosed me with nonspecific urethritis and prescribed a five-day antibiotic course, which helped and stopped the burning sensation and sensitive to touch feeling on my penile tip. My urine culture and blood test came out fine, but now the penile discharge remains. It is way less than before it remains. I am a few days away from completing 14 days since I was infected. Is it normal for discharge to stay that long? And this discharge sticks to the skin and it instantly dries, so it kept on sticking to my meatus and sealing it. So my meatus is now getting closed all the time, and I have to spray it with water or open it with my finger gently before urinating because it is not stuck that hard. Please help.

#

Urethritis treated with antibiotics for five days and now still have persistent pus discharging from the urethra. Urine culture came negative. First, what is supposed to be done is do a pus swab for culture and wait for the result to see the bacteria. We can then target it with the proper antibiotic rather than trying this antibiotic, which will create resistance.

Urethritis is a common problem, and adequate antibiotic for seven days should be enough.

Please follow up with a pus swab for culture.

The doctor has done many tests. Ultrasound, bladder scan, and urine flow were fine. But my only worry is since the antibiotics worked, the discharge is way less now. How long should I wait for it to go away completely by itself? And is it common that this discharge sticks to skin and the meatus and seals it? And should I stay away from masturbation for the meantime until everything goes back to normal? Because I have been masturbating during this period.

#

Actually, after the treatment is finished, there should not be discharged. And the discharge will be sticky like this only. The fate of this will either go away by itself with time or cause chronic infection, which is more difficult to treat. I know it got less with the antibiotic you took, but it is not completely cured. Therefore you should diagnose the infection from the pus by pus swab for the culture that test will give us an idea about the type of bacteria and the sensitive antibiotics to it. Then we can choose proper medication. In my opinion, this persists during the treatment. You can masturbate but do not have sexual intercourse.

|