Q. I have problem with urine retention. Kindly help.

Answered by
Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. Vinodhini. J
This is a premium question & answer published on Feb 04, 2021

Hello doctor,

I am having urine retention issues. Please help.



Welcome to

Weak flow, prolonged urination, incomplete emptying of the bladder, and waking up at night to pass urine are symptoms of an enlarged prostate or prostatic obstruction. After the age of 50 years prostate start to enlarge in size and causing the above-mentioned symptoms.

I reviewed your ultrasound (attachment removed to protect patient identity), which showed the prostate volume of 23 ml. It is not enlarged, but sometimes the shape of the prostate causes blockage and symptoms. Investigations should include a blood test to check on serum PSA.

Medical treatment at the moment and follow up with blood result is indicated. Take tablet Tamsulosin 0.4mg once at night. Please follow up after two weeks and update me about your improvement and the blood test.

Thank you doctor,

My neurologist thinks that it could be a result of my multiple sclerosis. He prescribed to me Hydrochlorothiazide, which I am supposed to start taking once every other day. Plus, I have been taking the Flomax. The last PSA shows a reading of 0.3 ng/ml.



Welcome back to

Multiple sclerosis can cause neurogenic bladder (problem with the nerve supply to the bladder) rather than prostate enlargement issue. Since you are already taking Flomax and your PSA is normal, that is great information.

The management now will be an assessment of your bladder function by urodynamic study, and according to the result, I can prescribe medications to help you resolve your problem.

The issue now is multiple sclerosis, which causes an overactive bladder. So your symptoms will be increased frequency, urgency, and incontinence, and no weak flow. Therefore you need urodynamic study as it will help me know your bladder capacity and pressures so I can know what medications suit you the best.

Thank you doctor,

I will have to follow up with the urologist and suggest this to him. What are your thoughts on the water pills I was prescribed?



Welcome back to

Thanks for the follow-up. I wish you were here, so I can treat you better, but anyway, online consultation can give you a clear idea about your problems. And you can approach me any time you want as well.

Well, Furosemide will not help with your problem. In fact it might worsen it. Reaching a clear diagnosis is the key to treat your bladder as you have mixed picture the diagnosis of MS and the opposite behavior of your bladder, which is more towards the diagnosis of BPH (benign prostatic enlargement). Therefore further workup is required like I said, urodynamics, and then decide on the treatment later stage if things are not clear. Then further requirements of a flexible cystoscopy will be required but better to go one by one step to reach a proper diagnosis.

Thank you doctor,

It is Hydrochlorothiazide. So what is the best way to get the best urine flow? Should I keep up with the Flomax? The urologist I see told me to stop the Flomax because of the ultrasound results, not considering the MS could cause my issues.



Welcome back to

Yes, Hydrochlorothiazide (diuretic) will not help. If you have used Flomax without improvements, then you can stop both Flomax and Thiazide diuretics. Then carry on with the urodynamic study and send me the report, please. So I can carry on with the treatment. If Flomax has made the difference, then stop the Thiazide and continue Flomax.

Was this answer helpful?


Same symptoms doesn’t mean you have the same problem. Consult a doctor now!

Related Questions:
Is multiple sclerosis hereditary?

Back and thigh pain is posture related and tremors are anxiety related ... What do you recommend for someone who is sensitive to medication to treat anxiety ...   Read full

I have multiple sclerosis with shortness of breathe. Could paint spray fumes be the cause?

Hello doctor, I had unprotected anal sex with the neighbor lady before three years, and after a week I got jaundice, and it suffered around one month, and I got treatment with some ayurvedic medicines and got relief. Then around three months later ...   Read full

How does spina bifida progress?

Hello doctor, I had unprotected anal sex with the neighbor lady before three years, and after a week I got jaundice, and it suffered around one month, and I got treatment with some ayurvedic medicines and got relief. Then around three months later ...   Read full

Also Read Answers From:

ideaComprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Also Read

Tomato Fever - Causes, Symptoms, Diagnosis, Treatment, and Prevention
Tomato fever is an unidentified and fast-spreading type of viral infection seen in young children. Scroll down to know m...  Read more»
Histrionic Personality Disorder - Causes, Signs, Symptoms, Diagnosis and Treatment
Histrionic personality disorder causes variations in the thinking ability of a person. Read this article to know more.  Read more»
Nighttime Skin Routine for Clear Skin
A skin that gets all the attention during the day requires a chance to repair, rejuvenate and replenish from day damage ...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: No content published on this website is intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek advice from your physician or other qualified healthcare providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website. Read our Editorial Process to know how we create content for health articles and queries.