Q. How to find out the reason for my baby's urinary infection?

Dr. Aman Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Oct 19, 2016 and last reviewed on: Sep 23, 2020

My 1.5 year old baby is suffering from urinary infection for last 10 days. Her culture report shows Colistin sensitive. Her doctor started her on Colistin five days ago, but her infection is not going less. She had another test today and the report showed that her pus cells are abundant, Leukocytes esterase 3 +, nitrites positive and bacteria 2 +. What may be the issue? What shall we do? Please guide us.

#

• Your baby must be having some underlying condition of the urinary system to have had an infection.
  • Is he having fever? Have you done any ultrasound? The culture may be repeated in some other reliable laboratory. Along with ultrasound, CBC (complete blood count), KFT (kidney function test) and blood culture may be required if fever is there.
  • Please consult a urologist as soon as possible for physical evaluation and the above tests.
  • Colistin may be required till infection settles. Sometimes, other antibiotics need to be added depending on the response. Occasionally, draining the urine by means of a tube called a catheter is needed.

For further information consult a urologist online -->https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

|