Q. I am diabetic, and I have frequent UTIs, which subside after medication. Please help.

Dr. Vaibhav
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 01, 2021 and last reviewed on: Jul 24, 2021

I got a UTI infection towards the end of the last year, got treated, and was fine. My abdomen and pelvis sonography showed small right renal calculus and diffuse urinary bladder wall thickening. I have diabetes for the last eight years and taking Glucobay M 25 mg tablet. There was blood and pus in my urine the last time. Again at the beginning of this month, I got frequent burning urination with pressure around 10 to 15 times within an hour, very high blood pressure, and fever. So I consulted a physician and took Zenflox- UTI (for seven days) and Citralka syrup. Now I am fine. My doctor suggested talking to a urologist about my frequent UTI. So please tell me a medicine to avoid this problem.

#

I have seen all your reports (attachments removed to protect the patient's identity). You have an infection in the latest report, and you have started the antibiotic treatment correctly. An increase in urine frequency is due to infection of the bladder, and it will get controlled once the infection subsides.

Your bladder thickening in sonography is due to mild prostate enlargement and diabetes. People with diabetes have very high chances of repeated urine infection, so strict sugar control is very important. For prostate enlargement, I suggest you Veltam 0.4 mg (Tamsulosin) tablet for a week. Take it at night right before you sleep. You will need a prostate examination also by a urologist whenever it is possible for you. Try to visit a urologist near you. Repeat CBC (complete blood count) and urine microscopy now to see any residual infection. If the infection is present, then you may have to take antibiotics.

Thanks for the reply.

I have stopped Zenflox- UTI after seven days due to a normal CBC report which I have attached here. I have not done a urine test as my urination was normal. For prostate issues, surely I will start the suggested medicine. I have also analyzed HbA1C, which is 6.2 percent. So please recommend to me any other test which would ease the understanding of my issue.

#

You do not require any other specific test. A urine routine is needed to confirm the clearance of infection. But if you have no urine symptoms, then you can avoid the test. Keep a regular check on sugar level as HbA1C of 6.2 percent is a little high. Repeat it after three months. Get prostate examination by a urologist whenever possible. Thanks.

|