Q. My 1. 7-year-old son has positive CRP and bacteria in urine. Is this a serious issue?

Dr. Med, Özlem Karabuda
This is a premium question & answer published on Aug 02, 2020 and last reviewed on: Aug 26, 2020

My son is 1 year and 7 months old. He is very tired and does not eat food. I went to the hospital and checked all his blood and urine tests. His CRP is positive and bacteria present in urine. Is this result dangerous? Doctor advised admission in the hospital and take antibiotics. What is your opinion?

Dr. Med, Özlem Karabuda

Child Health Paediatrics
#

Urinary tract infection especially in boys is an important health issue. The infection should be treated with appropriate antibiotics immediately after taking a urine culture. This should be done because sometimes the antibiotic chosen does not work very well. But with the results of the urine culture, you can change to the more appropriate one.

Most babies with a urinary tract infection can be treated without hospitalization. But this depends on your baby's appearance and symptoms. If the baby is very tired, admission to the hospital may be better.

The importance of a urinary tract infection for boys is that there may be an underlying cause for the infection. So your son has to be checked for any dilatation or stricture of the urinary system by an ultrasound examination of the urinary tract. This is very important in order to avoid any possible damage to his kidneys.

|