Q. My wife got a bladder infection after having sex with me. Can I have STD?

Dr. Samer S J Altawil
and medically reviewed by Dr. K Shobana

I want to check whether I have an STD. I have had a sexual encounter with a massage therapist. She performed unprotected oral sex with me. I have done some tests for chlamydia and gonorrhea. Both of the results came back negative. After that, I did a urine analysis, and it was negative. In the meantime, four months passed. Also, the doctor did a physical exam and concluded that I am fine and all problems remained in my mind.

After three or four weeks, I had sex with my wife. She got (what appeared to be) a bladder infection after sex. This infection went away. After some weeks, she got a more severe bladder infection, for which she received some medication (Furabid), and the disease disappeared. After this, we have had no sex. Now during her period, she keeps on bleeding and has some discharge. I start to feel all kinds of things, but the doctor who spoke to me believes that I imagine this out of guilt. I would like to know what is the possible infection or maybe something else I could have.

#

Hi, and thank you very much for consulting icliniq. I think your wife might have a fungal infection which is common between wife and husband. It cannot be detected by STD (sexually transmitted diseases) screening symptoms like discomfort, cheesy white discharge like tofu, and itching sensation. Using Canesten vaginal pessaries cannot help. Also, both of you should do complete STD workup by sending both blood tests for syphilis, herpesvirus, hepatitis B and C, and HIV (human immunodeficiency virus). Please update me with results. If you have any more queries, please let me know. Kind regards.

Thank you very much for your response. What can we do against the fungal infection? Is there a medicine for this, or is there a test that could detect it? Also, would this be the result of the Erotic Massage? or can it be something that just happened around that time? Could the fungus infection be contagious? So if I have it, would I infect my wife with this? or vice versa? Thank you.

#

Good morning. Fungal infections are common. The exact cause is unknown, and it could be due to massage, or it can happen without also. We detect it on examination and symptoms. There is no specific test for it. Treatment is by Canesten vaginal pessaries one pessary at night for six nights. You can take capsule Fluconazole 150 mg once daily for six days at the same time.

Thank you for your answer. When I have this, could I pass it to my wife or vice versa? With the examination, the doctor advised me to do tests for Chlamydia and Gonorrhea only. Let me tell you a bit precisely what happened. I had a massage four months back. After I had sex with my wife (after some weeks because I tried to avoid it), she thought she got a bladder infection after a week. She took Paracetamol for it. It made me so worried. I went to the doctor for STD. The doctor heard me out and examined me and told me that I had nothing.

As I was under stress, we still did the test for chlamydia and gonorrhea, and the doctor told me that the other problems are improbable to come from oral sex. The results of these two tests came back negative. I got some relief, and after that, I had regular sex again with my wife. Again after three weeks, she started to have another bladder infection (urine with smell and burning feeling). She went to the doctor, and the doctor gave Fumabid antibiotics. It helped her as the smell and the burning sensation went away. This situation made me completely stressed.

So I went again to the doctor and insisted on doing further tests. He suggested doing urine analysis. It came back negative and told me that I did not have any bacteria inside. This was the case, and again I was relieved. Since then, I did not have sex again with my wife, and now she has got her period and having some blood loss longer than usual.

So I worry that I passed something on to her. I will do what you recommend. But based on this, what is your thought. Also, let me know if the fungal infection can be transmitted from one to the other. For myself, I do not have symptoms. But due to the stress and worry, I am not sure what I feel, to be honest. I do not feel pain, but at certain times, I think something in my testicles or feel something when I urinate (not a burning sensation or anything), or I smell something. But again, as the other doctor told me, I believe that it is due to stress. Thank you for your help.

#

Yes, fungal infection can be transmitted. That’s why I asked you to get treatment for both of you, and for the rest of the conditions, you will both do it as I requested from you. Do not worry, my dear. It is going to be alright. Just get the tests done and take the medications. Then follow and will advise you further.

Hi again. To make sure that I do the correct course of action. I take Fluconazole and at the same time got tested for the other STD's or did you recommend waiting with the Fluconazole?

#

Take the medication and do the tests. No worries.

|