Get E-Book on COVID-19

Q. How can urinary infection in an elderly woman be treated?

Answered by
Dr. Shahil Khant
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
This is a premium question & answer published on Dec 29, 2017

Hello doctor,

My 86-year-old bedridden mother has a urinary infection. The culture and sensitivity reports are attached. Can you tell me which antibiotics to take? Also, can the low level of antibiotics prevent future infections of the urinary tract? She was having E. coli for a year and a half until it was cured 18 months ago. Can you also give me pointers how to reduce the incidence of urinary tract infections? Kindly tell me the source of the Morganella morganii.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology


Welcome to

Kindly answer these questions.

  • Does she pass urine properly or is she on catheter?
  • Is she in diapers?
  • Does she have any problems in passing urine?
  • Are there any urinary symptoms?
  • Is she having a control and sensation of urine?
  • Does she have any episodes of fever?

The source of infection is usually perineal and vaginal flora.

For more information consult a urologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Thank you doctor,

She passes urine normally. She is in diapers. There have been no episodes of fever, cold, or a cough for the last five months. She is in control of urine and having sensation.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology


Welcome back to

This is a very common old age problem.

The urine stays in her diapers and is the source of infection.

Also due to old age, the immune system is weak. The local defensive mechanisms against bacteria get destroyed.

In your reports, all oral antibiotics are resistant. Rest are all higher antibiotics.

As there are no symptoms like fever, I strongly suggest not to use antibiotics as unnecessary use may cause all antibiotics to be resistant and when in need then all antibiotics will be resistant.

Also, try to keep perineal region as clean as possible.

You cannot prevent from getting infections.

Still, if you want I would suggest injection Piptaz (Piperacillin and Tazobactum) 4.5 g intravenous three times a day for seven days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the injection.

For more information consult a urologist online -->

Was this answer helpful?


Related Questions:
What is epididymo-orchitis?
My 7 year old daughter has repeated urine infections. How to clear it out?
Kindly recommend a medicine for urine infection.

This is a sponsored Ad. icliniq or icliniq doctors do not endorse the content in the Ad.

Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Comprehensive Medical Second Opinion.Submit your Case

Related Questions & Answers

Are the antibiotics prescribed to my dad correct?

Query: Hi doctor, My father is 76 years old. He has been in ICU for two days as he was diagnosed with LRTI (CAP - community acquired pneumonia). Four years back he had TB. His vitals such as BP, temperature, renal and heart tests are fine. He is not responding to antibiotics and his condition is deteriora...  Read Full »

Also Read

This article provides you with all the information that you should be knowing about miscarriage. Although this is an emo...  Read more»
COVID-19 Testing
COVID-19 testing includes analyzing patient samples to determine current or past infections with SARS-CoV-2. Read the ar...  Read more»
I feel a restlessness in my legs, which decreases my sleep quality. How to get a refreshing sleep?
Hello doctor, I cannot get refreshing sleep some days in a week, and some days it is good. I also have difficulty sleep...  Read more»

Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Urologist Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.

Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.