Q. How can urinary infection in an elderly woman be treated?

Dr. Shahil Khant

My 86-year-old bedridden mother has a urinary infection. The culture and sensitivity reports are attached. Can you tell me which antibiotics to take? Also, can the low level of antibiotics prevent future infections of the urinary tract? She was having E. coli for a year and a half until it was cured 18 months ago. Can you also give me pointers how to reduce the incidence of urinary tract infections? Kindly tell me the source of the Morganella morganii.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

Kindly answer these questions.

• Does she pass urine properly or is she on catheter?
  • Is she in diapers?
  • Does she have any problems in passing urine?
  • Are there any urinary symptoms?
  • Is she having a control and sensation of urine?
  • Does she have any episodes of fever?

The source of infection is usually perineal and vaginal flora.

For more information consult a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

| 

She passes urine normally. She is in diapers. There have been no episodes of fever, cold, or a cough for the last five months. She is in control of urine and having sensation.

Dr. Shahil Khant

Andrology General Surgery Urology
#

This is a very common old age problem.

The urine stays in her diapers and is the source of infection.

Also due to old age, the immune system is weak. The local defensive mechanisms against bacteria get destroyed.

In your reports, all oral antibiotics are resistant. Rest are all higher antibiotics.

As there are no symptoms like fever, I strongly suggest not to use antibiotics as unnecessary use may cause all antibiotics to be resistant and when in need then all antibiotics will be resistant.

Also, try to keep perineal region as clean as possible.

You cannot prevent from getting infections.

Still, if you want I would suggest injection Piptaz (Piperacillin and Tazobactum) 4.5 g intravenous three times a day for seven days. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and with their consent take the injection.

|