Q. I am passing urine with little strain. Why?

Answered by
Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana
and medically reviewed by iCliniq medical review team.
Published on Jun 16, 2016 and last reviewed on: Oct 09, 2018

Hi doctor,

I am 40 years old. From last two days I am suffering from frequent urination during day time with little bit burning sensation. My blood sugar and BP are normal. Urine flow is not so strong. I used to urine by pressing the penis and this is not the first time. As far as I can recall it from age 20, I am often suffer with the same issue. Please suggest me.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome to icliniq.com.I have some more queries about your complaints.

  • Do you have any nocturia that is do you have any disturbed sleep due to increased frequency of urination during nights?
  • Any difficulty in passing urine or any hesitancy to start or any straining during urination?
  • Do you have any dribbling of urine at the end of urination or is the volume of urination increased?
  • How is the stream, normal flow or thin? When did the burning micturition start?
  • Do you have any abdominal pain and history of recurrent fevers? Have you ever been evaluated for prostate size in the recent past?
  • Do you feel incomplete after emptying of the bladder?

As male urethra is S shaped some urine gets trapped and milking often clears the trapped urine at the end of urination.

The complaints you have quoted may fit into one of the below.

  1. Recurrent UTI (urinary tract infection).
  2. Urethral stricture.
  3. Urethral diverticulum.
  4. Benign prostatic hyperplasia (BPH).

BPH usually occurs after 50 years, which is not in your case as you are having these for the last 20 years.

Recurrent UTI is a consideration which can be ruled out by CUE (cumulative urinary excretion).

For strictures and diverticulum you need catheterization to rule out or radiographic evaluation of urethra with contrast like retrograde cystourethrogram and ultrasound.

I would advise you to avoid dairy.

Investigations to be done:

1. CUE.
2. Ultrasonography of abdomen with focus on prostate and post volume.

Regarding follow up:

Revert back with the answers to the above questions to an internal medicine physician online.---> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you doctor,

I do not have nocturia and there is no difficulty in passing urine. I do not strain during urination and there is dribbling of urine at the end of urination. I do not have any hesitancy and not evaluated for prostate size. The urine stream is thin and burning micturition is episodic. Abdominal pain is not there and no history of recurrent fever. At the end, I feel complete emptying of the bladder, but after a while later I feel bladder is full. I can hold urine for a few hours, but slight pain will be felt. Initially, I used to take chandanasava syrup and got better results. At the end, I press the penis to empty the bladder.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Well, that rules out prostrate and puts you more towards.

  • You have recurrent UTI, cystitis and urethritis? Your urethral stricture needs to be ruled out.
  • Have you ever been catheterized that is tube ever been passed into your urinary bladder for collecting urine? If yes, that rules out the possibility of urethral stricture as catheterization requires patent penile urethra.
  • Have you ever had urinary incontinence like an escape of urine while laughing, coughing and getting down stairs?

I suggest you to go for CUE along with the urine leukocyte esterase test.

USG abdomen with focus on bladder thickness and a note on post-void volume.

Increased frequency may also be due to overactive bladder and have more water and a liquid diet.

I suggest you to have cranberry juice and lemonade that helps you to fight UTI.

Do pelvic floor exercises like Kegel exercises and breathing exercises in yoga to strengthen your floor muscles.

Revert back with answers to the above question to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you doctor,

Am I suffering from UTI? Is the treatment going in the right direction? Please suggest me.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

Please do send your reports for my judgement.

Revert back with the reports to an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Thank you doctor,

I have attached my reports. Please go through.

Dr. Geeta Priyadarsini Kamminana

General Medicine Internal Medicine


Welcome back to icliniq.com.

  • Well, your urine appears to be clean and does not show any evidence of acute infection.
  • May be you are symptomatic like increased frequency, urgency and fever, which have urged your treating physician to treat it as UTI.
  • As reports are not always accurate and symptoms always speak truth. Do follow the prescription and it will help you.

In particular Urispas-LL (Flavoxate) helps you to decrease urinary frequency. It is a smooth muscle relaxant and Alkasol syrup helps you to clear the infection along with antibiotics. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with their consent.

Do drink lots of water and have cranberry juice and lemonade.

For further information consult an internal medicine physician online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/internal-medicine-physician

Ask a QueryAsk a Query Consult by PhoneConsult by Phone Video ChatVideo Chat
Also Read Answers From:

Related Questions & Answers

Following UTI, I am getting vaginal dryness and pain. How to treat this?

Query: Hi doctor, A few months ago, I was suffering from UTI and followed by vaginal dryness. Right now, I feel occasional sharp pain in my vagina, which subsides after a while. Also, I am getting pain during intercourse. I wanted to know the ways to treat this vaginal dryness. I had urine and culture t...  Read Full >>

Dr. Dattaprasad Balasaheb Inamdar
Obstetrician And Gynaecologist

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Pain can be due to cystitis or recurrence of UTI (urinary tract infection). UTI will not cause vaginal dryness. It indicates inadequate exposure to estrogen (hormone), which can be due to many causes. Regarding dryness and pain during intercourse, it can be reduce...  Read Full

I feel uneasy while peeing. Is this UTI?

Query: Hi doctor, I am a sexually active female. After a day of such vigorous activity, I am suffering with symptoms such as stinging and burning sensation while peeing. I am getting the urge to pee again and again while actually do not pee much. I still feel that my bladder is not fully emptied. There is ...  Read Full >>

Dr. Vivekanandan G

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Your symptoms are very suggestive of cystitis. You can start on tablet Levoflox (Levofloxacin) 500 mg once daily in the morning after food for three days and also add tablet Urispas (Flavoxate Hydrochloride) 200 mg thrice daily after food for three days. Take plenty of fl...  Read Full

When I pass urine, it ends with so much pain. Why?

Query: Hi doctor, I am having painful urination. When I pass urine only 5-10 mL of urine I pass and then end up with so much of pain. The pain is like something stuck in my penis or like some wound inside the penis. And I am also getting blood in urine. This is happening to me for the last two days. Please...  Read Full >>

Answer: Hi, Welcome to icliniq.com. Based on your query, my opinion is as follows: Painful urination along with blood is a sign of urinary tract infection. However, I strongly suspect a possible urethral stricture or urethral mucosal rupture. Get a urine microscopic examination to evaluate for urinary trac...  Read Full



Ask your health query to a doctor online?

Ask an Internal Medicine Physician Now

* guaranteed answer within 4 hours.
Enter Your Health Query
You can upload files and images in the next step.



Disclaimer: All health Q&As published on this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical diagnosis, advice or treatment by a trained physician. Seek the advice from your physician or other qualified health-care providers with questions you may have regarding your symptoms and medical condition for a complete medical diagnosis. Do not delay or disregard seeking professional medical advice because of something you have read on this website.