Q. What is the reason for on and off urinary infection?

Dr. Aman Gupta
This is a premium question & answer published on Jun 26, 2016 and last reviewed on: May 14, 2020

I am a 28 year old male. Approximately, six to seven years back, I had urinary infection when I was sexually active with my girlfriend. I was advised to take an antibiotic course, which I did not complete at that time and the infection was not fully cured. After that incident, I used to get urinary infection once in a few months. During urination, I sometimes used to have one or two drops of blood only during the time of urinary infection.

In addition to the above mentioned problems, I have some other issues related to sexual health. Such as premature ejaculation, extremely bad timing, sensitivity of the penis skin, lower back pain, lack of confidence, etc. Very often on my way to the toilet some urine drops are leaked. During night time, I have to stand up several times to urinate. Sometimes, approximately once a week after urinating suddenly sperm drops are released, but I have not discussed this part with my urologist in person. I am not a stressful person, so the reason behind this has to be something else than stress. I have now recently been to a urologist and I was told that the infection became chronic. The doctor recommended antibiotics again and I have now completed the course. The urinary infection should be cured by now. All the new tests were negative. The urologist told me that my prostate size is bigger than people in my age. Please suggest me some good solution for the above mentioned problems. I want to get married soon and live a healthy life. The ultrasound has been made. The urologist here told me that, my prostate size is bigger than normal people in my age. This is not suppose to happen until a person gets older. That is the main reason of feeling weak and not being able to control urine, etc. I hope you understood all my problems. Please suggest me some medication for all the above mentioned problems. Thank you.

#

I assume that your reports have all been normal. If not, then please forward it to me.

• It might have started with an infection. Sometimes the initial trigger is not known.
  • Even after treatment of the initial urinary infection, sometimes the nerves around the prostate continue to remain in a state of prolonged irritation, which can lead to such symptoms.
  • The treatment is not fixed and every person responds to a different set of medicines.
  • I suggest Levofloxacin 500 mg once every day for two weeks and tablet Amitriptyline 10 mg once every night for one month at least.
  • This may need to be prolonged and the dose required may be higher than this. Side effect includes sedation. Consult your specialist doctor, discuss with him or her and take the medicine with consent.
  • Also, an anti-inflammatory like Ibuprofen 400 mg twice a day for five days.
  • Warm baths in a tub of warm water for 5 to 10 minutes also helps some people.
  • These symptoms tend to get worse, sometimes especially during periods of stress. Some days you might feel comfortable as well. It is not a threatening problem, but has a nuisance value.
  • Semen discharge after urination is normal in some people. Avoid excessive fluid intake at night.
  • Do not bother about the size of the prostate. Send me your reports as well.

Revert back with the reports to a urologist online --> https://www.icliniq.com/ask-a-doctor-online/urologist

Do you require any new tests such as ultrasound or any specific blood or urine test? I felt some kind of burning sensation in the urinary tract. I do not know whether the urinary infection is gone yet or not. Now I do not have any test results with me. If there is a requirement, then I can manage to go to the laboratory and collect them.

#

• I just need an ultrasound, blood sugar and a urine routine test report.
  • A burning sensation in the urine is not always indicative of an infection. Men do not easily get a urine tract infection.

|