Q. I have urination problem with less urine output and leakage. Please help.

Dr. Ankush Jairath

Patient is a 50-year-old female. She had a history of early menopause (periods stopped after 35 yrs). Her gall bladder removed last year and she has hypothyroidism and taking Thyronorm .25 mg for the past three years.

Her present complaint is problem in urination, urine flow is low and she has to go to the toilet several times for urination but the urine is very scanty even after applying force. Sometimes there is urine leakage. She was prescribed Urimax 0.2. But she discarded its use as it induced constipation, flatus, and obesity. Sometimes there is a pain in the pelvic region, joint pain, and easily fatigued.

#

Do you have leakage when you feel to urinate? Do you have urine leakage when you cough or sneeze? When you hold urine at that time did you feel burning or pain? For what maximum time you are able to hold urine? Any history of diabetes or hypertension or any medications?

| 

Yes, I feel leakage and my innerwear gets wet. I do not feel any burning or pain in urine. My urine culture test remains always negative. I cannot hold urine for a long time. I have to urinate every two hours on average. My sleep is disturbed because of it.

But when I go to urinate, I feel the urge but no pressure. The flow of urine is weak. I can hold the urine but generally, I void it whenever I feel even a little urge.

I am not diabetic. I do not have any blood pressure. I am suffering from hypothyroidism and take tablet Thyronorm 0.2 daily in empty stomach for the last three years. I am attaching the prescription for your perusal.

#

I have seen the prescription. (attachment removed to protect patient identity).

Can you upload an ultrasound abdomen with PVRU (post-void residual urine) report? Have you undergone any surgical procedures like dilatation /OIU until now?

There are three things which can be overactive bladder, neurogenic bladder, and urethral stenosis.

For first, I can prescribe you medication. For the last, surgical procedure like dialatation/OIU is needed. For second nothing much can be done (continuous intermittent catheterization to empty the bladder fully).

But before prescribing any drug I need to see an ultrasound abdomen with PVRU report.

| 

USG report is attached. My gallblader was removed last year by laproscopy. No other surgery is done.

#

I am keeping a possibility of overactive bladder as probable diagnosis. I will recommend you to start tablet Roliten (Tolterodine tartrate) 4 mg once a day for two weeks. We will get back after after two weeks again to see how much better you feel.

It has a side effect of mouth dryness. It is very important you should not have constipation so start some laxative like syrup Cremalax at bed time (dose can be modified according to your need).

| 

Why am I not able to pass urine after UTI?

Query: Hello doctor, I am newly married for 25 days. 10 days ago, I had UTI with burning sensation while urinating for which I was prescribed Augmentin 625 and Cital syrup. I took medicine for three days and had some relief. Then three days back suddenly I was not able to urinate at all. My bladder was fu...  Read Full »

My frequent urination problem stopped after I started masturbating. Are they related?

Query: Hello doctor, I am a 19 year old male, who weighs 72 kg and 176 cm tall. About 3 to 4 years ago, I was urinating every 5 to 10 minutes, so I used some medicines. It took about two months to get rid of this illness, but it did not heal completely. For the first two years, I was urinating in every 1...  Read Full »

Is an ER visit necessary for high creatinine and decreased urine output?

Query: Hello doctor, I had a blood workup done yesterday in preparation for a chemotherapy port removal. My creatinine level was 1.9 mg/dL at that time, and it has been within normal range before that. I had significantly decreased urination the day before but had a lot of sweating the preceding day. I ha...  Read Full »