Q. My 5-year-old son gets recurrent skin rashes with itching and mild fever. Please suggest remedy.

Dr. Suresh Kumar G D

My kid is 4.5 years old. He had skin allergy with itching with a mild fever below 100F (nine days before). Rashes disappeared once we apply baby lotion, but again reappeared.

We consulted a doctor he suggested to take the following medicine.

Syrup Cetirizine 5 ml (bedtime 7-10 days), tablet Dexamethasone (quarter tablet twice daily for five days), syrup Bentex 5 ml (at bedtime once and repeat after eight days) and Caladryl lotion for external application.

We finished the course but after nine days it is reappearing, from yesterday he developed rashes again and has appeared all over the body and especially his foot (more itching). We applied lotion and it is fine, but the rashes reappear he has mild body temperature. Please suggest.

He takes normal diet, eats non-veg food twice a week, especially fish and egg.

#

From your description and photos (attachment removed to protect patient identity), it looks like your son has hives or urticaria. It can be due to allergy or viral infections or can occur without any obvious reason. Did the doctor you consulted before see him face to face and confirm it as hives or urticaria?

Usually, these rashes are itchy, resolve in one to two days but new lesions can occur in surrounding areas of the skin for several days to weeks. Your son has been prescribed the right medicines. Usually, urticaria gets better in a few days but sometimes it can last for a longer period. So medicines need to be continued for a longer period.

Kindly answer these further questions for clarification. Did your son's rashes and itching settle completely when he was taking the medicines for nine days? You said your son had similar rashes last year. How long did it last at that time? Is your son otherwise active and playful? Is he eating and drinking well? Is he sleeping well? At any time, did he develop rashes or swelling in his tongue and mouth. Did he develop any difficulty in swallowing or breathing?

Treatment:

I will advise to continue syrup Cetirizine 5 ml at night time for another week or two. It is an anti-histamine and will help to control new rashes. Apply calamine lotion three times daily. It will help to control itching.

No need to repeat Bendex syrup again. It is for treating worms and can be given once a year or so.

No need to repeat Dexamethasone tablet for now. But if rashes does not settle or becomes severe, may need to be given for another five days.

If fever is there, give Paracetamol syrup 5 ml, two or three times a day. Avoid giving Brufen.

Avoid fish, eggs, nuts, and chocolates for some weeks until rashes resolve completely.

Avoid hot water bath, use lukewarm water for bath.

Use loose-fitting cotton clothes only.

Important advice:

If the rashes become severely itching or causes eye redness, conjunctivitis or eye swelling or child has difficulty in breathing or swallowing, voice becomes coarse, then you need to take to hospital immediately. Also, if there is persistent high fever, joint pain or swelling, stomach pain, vomiting you need to take to hospital immediately.

Generally, these lesions will disappear and reappear and may take time to fully resolve. So if child is otherwise well do not worry. But if these rashes are persistent and severe, you may need to consult a dermatologist. He may need further examination and investigations to prevent recurrence of these rashes.

|