Q. What tests should be done for my father's on and off itching and rashes all over the body?

Dr. Dilip Meena

My father is having on and off itching and rashes all over his body. The itching is more during the night. We did not consult any doctor due to lockdown. His current medications are tablet Plavix, Cardivas, Lipvas, Silodal, Cresar, Neurobion Forte, Zoryl-MV 2, Volix, and Human Mixtard Insulin.

What tests are needed to rule out the cause?

Kindly help.

#

I understand your concern.

Your father has urticaria with scabies. It is challenging to evaluate further without a physical examination.

Kindly answer me the following to help you better;

1) Do anyone else in your family has itching?

2) Do the rashes look like raised mosquito bites and subside in few minutes?

3) Are there any little bumps on his abdomen, extremities, or in the finger spaces?

Revert with the answers.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

Yes, his elder sister has similar itching and rashes. The rashes look like mosquito bites and disappear within few minutes. My doctor prescribed tablet Atarax 25 mg and Okacet 10 mg. These tablets worked for few months, but the rashes reappeared after discontinuation of the medications.

Is there any specific test to analyze this condition?

Kindly help.

#

It seems he has chronic urticaria, and there are no specific blood tests for urticaria. And the right way to treat is to take medicines regularly for few weeks to few months with regular follow-ups.

I suggest you take the following medications for four weeks;

1) Tablet Teczine-M (Levocetirizine and Montelukast) once at night.

2) Tablet Vermact 12 mg (Ivermectin) once a week for two weeks.

Take care.

Thanks for the reply.

My dad followed the medicine for one month as per your previous recommendation. We have got Ivermectin and Montelukast tablets. The course was over by last month, and he started to have itching again. Now, for the time being, he is taking tablet Atarax 25 mg and Okacet 10 mg.

Kindly suggest the next step.

#

If his condition is controlled with tablet Teczine-M, then he can continue with it. Atarax, Okacet, and Levocetirizine are all of the same class of drugs, known as antihistamines. I prescribed Levocetirizine with Montelukast combination, which has slightly better results. The goal is to reduce the antihistamines dose to as low as possible and still have the disease under control.

Take care.

|